My New “Rescues”

Dfwgolden

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi guys it’s been a good minute since I’ve posted on here and a lot has happened. Don’t worry this is not some sort of bizarre blog entry! But I did want to let you know that I just recently adopted/rescued if you want to call it, three 25 year old box turtles.

These guys are Eastern box turtles to female one Male the Male is a traditional three toed but doesn’t look it and I’ll explain why here in a second.

So the story begins when I am scrolling through craigslist looking around with no goal in mind I just like to browse through. Well at the top of the first page was a listing for three box turtles and I immediately took notice in the condition of their beaks as they were horribly overgrown and one had a terribly deformed shell.

I immediately contacted the individual via email and expressed my interest in them. I explained that they definitely needed some veterinary care and I was more than happy to take that on.

So one thing led to another like a cheesy first kiss story and I pick these guys up a few days later. I Imediately went straight from the individual’s house to my vet and had their beaks trimmed they were horribly over Grown and were so with the toenails the lady who had them had done her very best to care for them. The story was her aunt had these turtles for 25 years or more each and had become homeless recently and talked her into taking them however this girl was not equipped nor had the time to properly care for them so she was looking for a home for them .

After trimming their beaks and toenails took them home and immediately started them on UVBUVA therapy a proper diet as well as calcium and vitamin D supplements. The girl stated that the one with the deformed shell was supposedly hit by car which is probably true to an extent but we also believe there’s definitely some metabolic bone disease playing a major factor in his deformity as well. The Vet confirms that they’re all probably 25 years or older one we suspect might be closer to 30. The girl actually was trying to do things correctly she bought them a UVA bulb a ceramic heat emailed her emitter and was attempting to feed them what she thought was a quality diet. Although not everything was right she was doing the best that she knew which I give her credit for.

Now that I have them home and they’re receiving the proper care they need they are thriving and doing beautifully they have been named doorstop a.k.a. Dobby, Lucy, and Ethel my other two Velma and adagio aren’t sure what they think of them yet but time will tell.

F3038AE1-616F-482B-995D-58F37C037513.jpeg A164EA43-4862-4FB6-9300-0671ED186A1B.jpeg A035EBA9-5343-4417-86C8-061FDD4B4C81.jpeg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Ahh Craigslist.. i recently rescued a gecko from there. ( i need to stay off CL)

You did a wonderful thing by helping them. Poor Dobby looks so uncomfortable in his shell. I am sure life will be so much better for them now.

Dfwgolden

Texas
Ahh Craigslist.. i recently rescued a gecko from there. ( i need to stay off CL)

You did a wonderful thing by helping them. Poor Dobby looks so uncomfortable in his shell. I am sure life will be so much better for them now.
Thank you :)

And ge saw the Vet, she said he is in actually decent shape despite his deformity.
It doesn’t slow him down a bit. And he’s super social.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
That's a great thing. I definitely stay off craiglist or I would have more than 7.