my new aprox 2 month old tortoise isn’t drinking

Andrew.H

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi, I just got a red footed tortoise 4 days ago and it’s aprox 2 months old and 3 inches long, Igs been sleeping a lot hasn’t eaten a whole lot but still is. I haven’t seen him poop nor pee as well as drink. I don’t know if this is normal for a new baby but i just want to make sure everything’s going well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I just got a red footed tortoise 4 days ago and it’s aprox 2 months old and 3 inches long, Igs been sleeping a lot hasn’t eaten a whole lot but still is. I haven’t seen him poop nor pee as well as drink. I don’t know if this is normal for a new baby but i just want to make sure everything’s going well
Are you soaking daily?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Babies usually sleep a lot. You should be soaking your baby at least once a day for 30-45 minutes for hydration, and to prevent pyramiding. Tortoises take time to settle in, if he/she does not eat in a week then there will be a problem. Read this care sheet...

Andrew.H

Ontario
Are you soaking daily?
Yes, I soak him every morning, I sit out on my deck with it and it walks around and my table and i feed to some greens and sometimes if it’ll eat it a pellet, But i haven’t seen it drink or poop nor pee yet

Andrew.H

Ontario
Babies usually sleep a lot. You should be soaking your baby at least once a day for 30-45 minutes for hydration, and to prevent pyramiding. Tortoises take time to settle in, if he/she does not eat in a week then there will be a problem. Read this care sheet...
Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, I soak him every morning, I sit out on my deck with it and it walks around and my table and i feed to some greens and sometimes if it’ll eat it a pellet, But i haven’t seen it drink or poop nor pee yet
When they are well hydrated, they don't usually need to drink. They also pee in the soak water. Poop you should be seeing, but sometimes they eat it when you aren't looking at them.

Andrew.H

Ontario
When they are well hydrated, they don't usually need to drink. They also pee in the soak water. Poop you should be seeing, but sometimes they eat it when you aren't looking at them.
He also doesn’t walk around his enclosure a lot only when i bring him outside. So he’s sleeping until i wake him up to feed him and such

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of heating and lighting do you have over him? Do you have a UV bulb? What type?

anushasharma1

5 Year Member
probably a good idea to let him rest when he needs it...keep feeding and soaking him regularly but take him to the vet if youre not seeing improvement in a few days to a week. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have the one that comes with the frame and both lights
I don't know what that is. Can you tell me what type of bulbs you are using? If you don't know, you can take a picture of the bulbs.