My New Baby Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Keep an eye on the inside of the hide, I've noticed on the rare occasions they poop in the enclosure (because it's usually in the bath) some of them (Octavia) like to lie in it, which makes for a lot of belly scrubbing at bath time, not fun. You can also freshen it up by sort of hand fluffing it, especially if you ever take the enclosure outside for some sunshine.

-Devon

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Neal said:
Good set up. Keeping it a little warmer during the night would be good. The basking spot temperature is perfect. When he gets big enough (about 4+ inches) you can keep him outside year round in AZ. When the temps dip to the mid 60's and below you should make sure he has a warm place to go for the night...don't need to worry about that for a couple of years.

Pets Inc is a really good place. They have nice little surprises from time to time. They've had pardalis for sale a few times and a couple years ago they had a bunch of indian stars.

I wish I hadn't seen that, I want stars! I'm going to have to check in there more frequently, and test the limits of spousal tolerance...

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, AZ
Another question... since I put the live parsley and wheatgrass in the corner (http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=7589) he/she seems to really like to crawl up there and wedge right in between the two plants. Under the log was the first favorite napping spot which I thought was "normal" but now I find the little tort wedged in the foliage nearly every time. I assume this is nothing to be alarmed about?

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Thanks, Tom. I was just curious. Now that I think about it, I guess it's more natural than hiding in a terracotta pot!

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
If you are really interested in learning, buy Richard Fife's book on leopards. His website is www.ivorytortoise.com. I got it and learned a great deal. WARNING, torts are very addictive! :)

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Joy,

When these pics were taken I was told by the pet store (Pet's Inc in Tempe) that she/he was around 8-10 weeks.

That being said, I'm now thinking he/she was quite a bit older than advertised. Ollie (pictured in this thread) was 37.2 grams at supposedly 8-10 weeks. I now have 2 other leopards from different breeders. One is 26.6 grams at 11 weeks and the other is 28.1 at 8 weeks. I know they all grow at different rates but based on what I'm seeing with the other 2 I think 37 grams is a bit heavy for an 8-10 week old leopard. Maybe someone else can share some stats.

charles

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for the update Charles. I can see in your writing how much you adore them and it's great to see how much they grow! It's all that great food and care you are giving them!!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
OllieInAZ said:
Joy,

When these pics were taken I was told by the pet store (Pet's Inc in Tempe) that she/he was around 8-10 weeks.

That being said, I'm now thinking he/she was quite a bit older than advertised. Ollie (pictured in this thread) was 37.2 grams at supposedly 8-10 weeks. I now have 2 other leopards from different breeders. One is 26.6 grams at 11 weeks and the other is 28.1 at 8 weeks. I know they all grow at different rates but based on what I'm seeing with the other 2 I think 37 grams is a bit heavy for an 8-10 week old leopard. Maybe someone else can share some stats.

charles

Wow. Guess the age can't be determined by the size. Know you must be so happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.