My New Baby, Now What?

Carrie Routt

So we finally received the neglected ornate box turtle. He is super cute, 2 yrs old. He was in an indoor 10 gal aquarium filled with dirt and fed cat food and grubs. He had no lighting or heat and buries himself all day. When he is out, I am told he paces. So, what would be ideal to switch him to a diet where he can learn to scavenge and give him what he lacks? I put him outside in a pen that has fencing under him so he cannot burrow out temporarily but will make him his own enclosure. Any insight would be great. Pics coming shortly.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harlingen, TX
At this age their diet should be about 70% protein (earthworms, super worms, crickets, etc.) And 30% plant matter (variety of leafy greens, squash, carrots, small amounts of fruit such as berries). Sprinkle a calcium supplement on his food a couple times per week. Be sure to include a hide box in his enclosure and some plants for cover. Good luck! He's a beautiful example of a Terrapene Ornata!

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
looks good for being neglected by the previous owner. I would cut back on the meatie part of the diet seeing how the tort looks a bit overweight (judging by the last picture). It looks like there is some skin hanging out the sides. Box turtles need to be able to fully retract their legs and tail so that they can close their shell and I don't know if yours might be a bit overweight.