My new Chameleons for 2022

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I purchased a new Jacksons Chameleon male to fill the recently vacant cage of my Panther Chameleon that died from severe MBD. (There's another entire thread about that)
He comes from COLD BLOODED KINGDOM in Deerfield Beach Florida. The same physical location as the store that sold me the dying Panther....And didn't help.
I actually just went inside to see how much different is was. And it's totally improved. (There will be a new post about THAT also)

Attachments

• 20211227_125753.jpg
    20211227_125753.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 18

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I also purchased a baby Veiled Chameleon to replace one that lived what I estimate to be just over 7 years.
This guy came from UNDERGROUND REPTILES also in DEERFIELD BEACH FLORIDA.
The store is immaculate.
The prices are very good. And he (Riann) has high tech UVB and LED on almost every cage.
However, I DID see Redfoot and Sulcata babies housed together in a large, dry and dusty aquarium with Rabbit pellets for a substrate.
So, I still can't recommend anyone buying a tortoise from this business. Although the Chameleons he had on hand looked absolutely fine.
They are very delicate animals and I think that shipping one might be very traumatic.
Underground has unbeatable prices and if you can actually see the animal you're purchasing, they have some quality animals.
Just stay away from the tortoises. They aren't started correctly and they won't be easy to nurse back to health.

Attachments

• 20211227_125811.jpg
    20211227_125811.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Did you consider hunting for an invasive Veiled? I keep wanting to head down and look for them, a friend gave us a "secret" spot to look for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I purchased a new Jacksons Chameleon male to fill the recently vacant cage of my Panther Chameleon that died from severe MBD. (There's another entire thread about that)
He comes from COLD BLOODED KINGDOM in Deerfield Beach Florida. The same physical location as the store that sold me the dying Panther....And didn't help.
I actually just went inside to see how much different is was. And it's totally improved. (There will be a new post about THAT also)
Love them. How well do the Jacksons do in your climate?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thanks for sharing! They are amazing to look at

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Did you consider hunting for an invasive Veiled? I keep wanting to head down and look for them, a friend gave us a "secret" spot to look for them.
From everything I've heard, they don't do well in captivity. As ironic as that may be.
If I see one in the wild. I'd photograph it and leave it alone.
Legally you're supposed to kill them on sight

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Love them. How well do the Jacksons do in your climate?
For a Jacksons, Indoors is almost the perfect micro climate. With a temperature drop at night.
They only really thrive with a cool daytime temp in the mid to upper 70s and a drop into the upper 60s at night. More would be even better. Even into the 50s.
Veiled do much better outdoors 24/7. In fact, rogue colonies are already established here. As I'm sure you are aware. They can tolerate higher heat during the Summer and don't seem to die off if it gets into the low 50s during winter. They're much hardier.
I consider a Veiled Chameleon to be an entry level Chameleon. And a Jacksons to be for more advanced keepers. Due to the need for more specialized care.
Though neither should be purchased on a whim. All Chameleons are challenging and expensive to keep healthy.
Even a $35 baby Veiled represents more than $500 just in housing, lighting, humidity producers. Etc.
(That part is meant for other members reading this post)

Last edited:

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
From everything I've heard, they don't do well in captivity. As ironic as that may be.
I guess I assumed they would adapt reasonably well to captivity. My understanding is that the best spots for finding them are kept secret because they were intentionally (illegally) introduced to those locations for "ranching" purposes. A black eye for the reptile hobby.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The same goes for wild rabbits. They don't and can't accept living in captivity. I know that's off the subject but it's kinda relevant. Maybe it's just the stress of being in captivity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I guess I assumed they would adapt reasonably well to captivity. My understanding is that the best spots for finding them are kept secret because they were intentionally (illegally) introduced to those locations for "ranching" purposes. A black eye for the reptile hobby.
They're on several private properties down in Miami off of Krome Avenue.
Mostly old. Overgrown avocado and orange orchards.
They are elsewhere. But here they are numerous.
Many have been reported living as far north as Palm Beach county.
They're doing well. But are not nearly as common today as something like a green iguana.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a Jacksons, Indoors is almost the perfect micro climate. With a temperature drop at night.
They only really thrive with a cool daytime temp in the mid to upper 70s and a drop into the upper 60s at night. More would be even better. Even into the 50s.
Veiled do much better outdoors 24/7. In fact, rogue colonies are already established here. As I'm sure you are aware. They can tolerate higher heat during the Summer and don't seem to die off if it gets into the low 50s during winter. They're much hardier.
I consider a Veiled Chameleon to be an entry level Chameleon. And a Jacksons to be for more advanced keepers. Due to the need for more specialized care.
Though neither should be purchased on a whim. All Chameleons are challenging and expensive to keep healthy.
Even a $35 baby Veiled represents more than $500 just in housing, lighting, humidity producers. Etc.
(That part is meant for other members reading this post)
My best friend used to live at his grandma's house right on the beach here. Cold and clammy. Never hot. Summer highs in the low 80s, winter lows in the low 50s. He built screened cages around large potted ficus trees, and they just lived outside full time. They thrived. Squirting out babies left and right.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My best friend used to live at his grandma's house right on the beach here. Cold and clammy. Never hot. Summer highs in the low 80s, winter lows in the low 50s. He built screened cages around large potted ficus trees, and they just lived outside full time. They thrived. Squirting out babies left and right.
Cool.
I'd love to do that here.