Location (City and/or State)
Croydon
Hello All,

Had the most wonderful thing happen to me about a month ago now...

So... I'm in the garden hanging out the washing when I hear a thud/knock, so turned around to see what it was and thought that it must be an ornament fallen out of the flowerbed. So I carry on hanging out the washing, when finished, I turned around to put the ornament back only to find it was no longer there and instead was a trail through our overgrown lawn up to our apple tree (starting to think I'm going mad, and only having had one glass of Rose) I go to pick up the ornament only to find it sprouted legs and a head!!!

I have called around all the local vets and pet shops leaving my name and number, but unfortunately nobody has claimed the little beauty...

My grandparents previously had a Tortoise called Fred and lived for about 50+ years (turned out to be a Freda after laying one egg) so I would like to think I know a little bit about looking after them and have named 'him' (I assumed) Sheldon :tort:

I have taken Sheldon to a really great reptile center (Surrey Water Gardens & Pet Centre - West Clandon, Guildford) who were so kind, helpful and gave great tips and advise as well as giving him the once over and checking for any micro chipping - which unfortunately nobody had done. I also found out that Sheldon is actually a Shelly, but 'he's' just a Sheldon!!!

So the man at the reptile center said that I am now the keeper but cannot get any paper work for him... Is there anyway of getting this as I don't want to lose him/her?

They were also unsure if Sheldon is a Hermann's or a Horsefield... Can anybody tell? (Picture attached)

As I found Sheldon, I don't know how old he/she may be but the man from the reptile center said if I can find out when the UK laws changed I might get a rough idea... Is there any other way of telling? (Did count the rings on one patch (not sure what its called) but was roughly 12/14???

Apart from that I am totally besotted with the little guy/gal and end up spending hours just watching him roam around the garden :<3::<3::<3:

IMG_1886.PNG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome! Did you go around and ask your neighbors if he belongs to any of them? He's definitely NOT a horsefield, but I have difficulty distinguishing between the Greek and Hermanns tortoises, so let's ask @HermanniChris

Croydon
Hi and welcome! Did you go around and ask your neighbors if he belongs to any of them? He's definitely NOT a horsefield, but I have difficulty distinguishing between the Greek and Hermanns tortoises, so let's ask @HermanniChris

Hello Yvonne, I am lucky in the fact that I know and speak to all my neighbours well and none of them own/have owned a tortoise.
I was going to go knocking on doors around the block but had spoken with the RSPCA who said not to do that as somebody might say it theirs and mistreat it...

EdMurphy

Minnesota
Hello Yvonne, I am lucky in the fact that I know and speak to all my neighbours well and none of them own/have owned a tortoise.
I was going to go knocking on doors around the block but had spoken with the RSPCA who said not to do that as somebody might say it theirs and mistreat it...

I agree, I wouldn't go out door knocking but, keep your eye out for anyone who may be looking for it.
Can you post a picture of the underside too? This is just for my own entertainment, I'm not an expert but I like to follow along when HermanniChris or Yvonne ID torts.
I would have guessed a Russian with a pyramiding issue.

Croydon
I agree, I wouldn't go out door knocking but, keep your eye out for anyone who may be looking for it.
Can you post a picture of the underside too? This is just for my own entertainment, I'm not an expert but I like to follow along when HermanniChris or Yvonne ID torts.
I would have guessed a Russian with a pyramiding issue.

Hello Ed,

Here you go... top and bottom!
Have to say Sheldon wasn’t too happy about being turned over but does seem to have quite an attitude on him/her!

IMG_1980.jpgIMG_1981.jpg

EdMurphy

Minnesota
Thank You!
Like I said, I'm no expert and of very little help here but I like to use these threads to learn from.
Now sit back and wait for the answer from HermanniChris.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Beautiful torty. Can anyone tag some UK members who may know about paperwork. @JoesMum probably doesn't know the procedure as they had Joe for forever, but maybe she knows some members or resources for you.

Croydon
Beautiful animal, it’s an eastern Hermann’s Tortoise (Testudo hermanni boettgeri) for certain.

Thank you Ed and Chris!

Is there anyway of telling how old he might be? Is it a baby or an adult?

And due to me finding him, he has no paperwork... can I get this?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
She’s a fully grown adult probably in her prime of around 20 years or so but absolutely no way to be sure.

Croydon
She’s a fully grown adult probably in her prime of around 20 years or so but absolutely no way to be sure.

Thanks sooo much for your help!
Compared to my grandparents tortoise this one is small!
So how or what tells you one it’s a girl and two what type it is? Just out of interes!?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Then she may grow but Hermann’s tortoises are all different sizes even within the same locales. You find all you need on my Hermann’s site, which explains how to tell what you have: HermanniHaven.com

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What a lovely tortoise! I am sure she could use some warm daily long soaks, and the rest of her life with you!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Nice find! If know one claims it then it was meant to be. Hey maybe I will put a tortoise in the yard and let my wife find it. I know she would want to keep it