Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
More photos:

Here's Chewy on her favorite hill. She loves to be up there looking out over the land. I love hill features in tortoise pens where they can get up on a hill and look around over the enclosure wall. When its warm out, she just sits up there surveying the scene. I think she's looking for weak spots on the wall and plotting her great escape. She goes from 64 square feet to 7000 square feet and all she can think about is getting out. Damn sulcatas! Why do I love them so much?
3144cu9.jpg

2hxwqc7.jpg

As soon as she saw me she came straight down the hill to investigate what I was doing.
2dlrh3n.jpg

25au1b4.jpg

Here she was coming toward me and I moved to the side to get a better pic. She stopped and was like, "Hey where'd you go?"
n3p5px.jpg

Here she says, "Hi Scooter."
2vbo2fr.jpg

Here's a group shot. That's Delores on her left and Scooter behind. Big Bertha was over in the South Wing during all of this, but I'll get more pics of her adventures up too.
20a2i6u.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Amy. If only I had known 20 years ago what I know now, they would be much more beautiful. I love them just the same.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Thank you Amy. If only I had know 20 years ago what I know now, they would be much more beautiful. I love them just the same.

Trust me Tom! You are NOT the only one thinking that!;) But, just think of ALL the perfect animals that will thrive from here on! Another thing! You may not think this is the right time for a book, but you should at least consider a REPTILES article. It lays the foundation for a book, minimizes the possibility of someone running with your hard-earned research and information and gives access to this revolutionary new approach to tort keepers that are not aware of this forum.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
Really Tom, monitor lizards. Now they WILL eat u bbq sauce or not!!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
What beautiful torts! Chewey looks like a very curious girl :)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I'm perusing things I missed and can't understand how I missed this thread! They are beautiful! I can see in their faces the same calm inquisitiveness that RV has. And your compound has me quite envious right now...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sharkstar said:
I'm perusing things I missed and can't understand how I missed this thread! They are beautiful! I can see in their faces the same calm inquisitiveness that RV has. And your compound has me quite envious right now...

Thanks. I'll post more pics when the winter rains come and the weeds all take off. Then you'll REALLY be envious. I turn the adults loose on the whole five acres and they run around filling their bottomless bellies with waist high weeds all day.

The new girls definitely have different personalities. Big Bertha is very shy and prefers to hide out in the warm house most of the time. I'm trying to hand feed her a little everyday to "bring her out of her shell." Chewy is quite the adventurer. She canvases the whole enclosure, looking for weak spots in the wall. She loves to be high up on the hill where she can look over the wall and survey the land.

The other really cool thing (what I was really hoping for) is Delores has now returned to her usual adventurous self. Her new friends (Scooter distractors) have given her the confidence to come out and run around the enclosure again. Scooter still harasses her a little bit once in a while, but its about 90% less than it was. When Delores sees Chewy out for a run around she often joins her now. Where Scooter used to jump up and run over to Delores whenever he saw her, now he'll sometimes sit and just watch the two of them run around. The addition of the new girls has made things pretty harmonious in my world.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know he was pestering her because she was an only female child, but males DO seem to have favorites.

When I first started taking care of William's Manouria, Phae and Darth, they had been alone together all their lives. I eventually put them with Medea and VicMorgan, and that made it a 3 to 1 ratio, female/male. He still pestered Phae the most. Oh, he bred all the other girls too, but he spent most of his time bobbing and mounting Phae.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
I know he was pestering her because she was an only female child, but males DO seem to have favorites.

When I first started taking care of William's Manouria, Phae and Darth, they had been alone together all their lives. I eventually put them with Medea and VicMorgan, and that made it a 3 to 1 ratio, female/male. He still pestered Phae the most. Oh, he bred all the other girls too, but he spent most of his time bobbing and mounting Phae.

So far, that is EXACTLY what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.