My new grazing tractor. Tips appreciated!

SanctuaryHills

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Put together a new grazing enclosure for my Aldabra turtoise. (6'x6') I see most built from wood but I feel more comfortable working with metal.

Now all that's left is to line bottom of the sides with a 6" strip of rubber and place the cage in a good location where it's partially under some of that good "deep shade". His pond area is also getting redone and looking quite nice IMHO. I'll post more pics later when it's all done.

PS: Im currently working on a second replica of this enclosure so that I may join then together. I tend to spoil my buddies ?.

Attachments

• 20210911_121740.jpg
    20210911_121740.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 93

zovick

10 Year Member!
Put together a new grazing enclosure for my Aldabra turtoise. (6'x6') I see most built from wood but I feel more comfortable working with metal.

Now all that's left is to line bottom of the sides with a 6" strip of rubber and place the cage in a good location where it's partially under some of that good "deep shade". His pond area is also getting redone and looking quite nice IMHO. I'll post more pics later when it's all done.

PS: Im currently working on a second replica of this enclosure so that I may join then together. I tend to spoil my buddies ?.
The enclosure looks very nice. I am curious how tall it is. It appears to be about one foot.

Do you have any idea how much time it will take for your tortoise to outgrow the enclosure. The 6' x 12' future dimension sounds as though it could last the tortoise for a few years, but if it is only a foot high, it may hit its head on the top before becoming too large for the area it has to roam.

Additionally, it may be necessary for you to move the enclosure around in your yard because I have a feeling that the tortoise may decimate all the grass in a 6' x 6' space in less time than you think.

Just tossing out some food for thought for the future. Certainly for now, everything should be fine.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
The enclosure looks very nice. I am curious how tall it is. It appears to be about one foot.

Do you have any idea how much time it will take for your tortoise to outgrow the enclosure. The 6' x 12' future dimension sounds as though it could last the tortoise for a few years, but if it is only a foot high, it may hit its head on the top before becoming too large for the area it has to roam.

Additionally, it may be necessary for you to move the enclosure around in your yard because I have a feeling that the tortoise may decimate all the grass in a 6' x 6' space in less time than you think.

Just tossing out some food for thought for the future. Certainly for now, everything should be fine.
You are totally right that I was more concerned with my buddie's horizontal growth that I almost forgot they get taller too =D

Thankfully I have plenty of raw material left so I'll heed your advice and give it a raise while the tools are still hot. Good thing I waited for feedback before getting too far into the second build.

As far as moving it around, totally with you there. One of my main concerns putting this together was the weight factor for that very same reason. Also the reason why I made two sections rather than one large one. (They'll both connect through the white shed you see in the corner)

PS: Edit to say you nailed the height exactly ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Grazing tractors are used all the time for chickens. Their purpose is to be able too move them around. Some have wheels. You may be able to add wheels to make it easier to move.
Just be sure there is no gaps between the walls and grass they s/he can get under.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Hijacking my own post to ask: Regarding having to keep our babies in COMPLETELY enclosed perimeters, is there an agreed weight/size range when the danger from predatory birds/racoons stops being as much of a concern?

@wellington

Last edited:

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Grazing tractors are used all the time for chickens. Their purpose is to be able too move them around. Some have wheels. You may be able to add wheels to make it easier to move.
Just be sure there is no gaps between the walls and grass they s/he can get under.
Lol yup, I got the name from my own chicken raising experience. Cage just doesn't sound as nice as "grazing tractor" XD.

But yes, I did consider wheels, but felt it was lightweight enough to carry around. Besides. Mitch likes to hang out by the edges so this way I'll be forced to be extra careful not to drag him around when moving the enclosure.

zovick

10 Year Member!
You are totally right that I was more concerned with my buddie's horizontal growth that I almost forgot they get taller too =D

Thankfully I have plenty of raw material left so I'll heed your advice and give it a raise while the tools are still hot. Good thing I waited for feedback before getting too far into the second build.

As far as moving it around, totally with you there. One of my main concerns putting this together was the weight factor for that very same reason. Also the reason why I made two sections rather than one large one. (They'll both connect through the white shed you see in the corner)

PS: Edit to say you nailed the height exactly ;)
I am guessing that if you make it 18" to 20" tall, it should be adequate for the length of time the tortoise will be able to stay in the 6' x 12' area. 24" might even be a safer height as those Aldabras do get fairly tall and have rather long legs and necks.

I haven't ever kept any Galaps or Aldabras, but have had adult sulcatas and did once have one break through a welded wire fence. After that happened, I built wood fencing for them. Later when I could afford it, I had chain link panels custom made for all my tortoise enclosures. Here are a couple photos of the panels in use. They are 8' long and 18" high and made with "micromesh" chain link which is 1.25" squares rather than the larger size squares. They are clamped together with 2 clamps at each end and can be readily reconfigured as your needs change:

zovick

10 Year Member!
I am guessing that if you make it 18" to 20" tall, it should be adequate for the length of time the tortoise will be able to stay in the 6' x 12' area. 24" might even be a safer height as those Aldabras do get fairly tall and have rather long legs and necks.

I haven't ever kept any Galaps or Aldabras, but have had adult sulcatas and did once have one break through a welded wire fence. After that happened, I built wood fencing for them. Later when I could afford it, I had chain link panels custom made for all my tortoise enclosures. Here are a couple photos of the panels in use. They are 8' long and 18" high and made with "micromesh" chain link which is 1.25" squares rather than the larger size squares. They are clamped together with 2 clamps at each end and can be readily reconfigured as your needs change:
Pictures of the fence panels did not load in previous post for some reason. Here they are:

Attachments

• GA Facility 3.jpg
    GA Facility 3.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 66
  • GA Facility 1.jpg
    GA Facility 1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 62

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It will be a few years before you have to worry about them busting out. Luckily they don't seem to have the bull dozing attitude of a Sulcata. Not until they get much bigger, then they might.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
It will be a few years before you have to worry about them busting out. Luckily they don't seem to have the bull dozing attitude of a Sulcata. Not until they get much bigger, then they might.
I just need this enclosure to last for as long as they need to be protected from predatory birds or racoons. After that the entire yard is theirs as far as I care :). I don't use any herbicides and have fruit trees for them to chase.

Not sure how big/heavy I should let them get before it's safe to do so though...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just need this enclosure to last for as long as they need to be protected from predatory birds or racoons. After that the entire yard is theirs as far as I care :). I don't use any herbicides and have fruit trees for them to chase.

Not sure how big/heavy I should let them get before it's safe to do so though...
As long as you lock them up every night in a shed. They should not be left out all night. Not for probably 10 years give or take a year or two. However, they really should always be locked up at night. Tortoises are the most vulnerable when sleeping. Even at a large size they can be chewed on.

zovick

10 Year Member!

I think around 8" to 10" would be pretty safe for an Aldabra to be allowed to roam free. I think raccoons and possums are a bigger problem than birds, or at least that was always the case for my locations.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
The enclosure seems like a good size to start, our first enclosure was 8x12. It looks like your night box is going to be way too small pretty quickly though. It will need to be large enough to get one more more heat sources inside and have room for the thermostat and other accessories like that to stay dry.
I wonder how they will react to having their enclosure moved around. Ours are serious creatures of habit and hate being moved to new locations. Maybe they will get accustomed to it if you do it from the beginning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hijacking my own post to ask: Regarding having to keep our babies in COMPLETELY enclosed perimeters, is there an agreed weight/size range when the danger from predatory birds/racoons stops being as much of a concern?

@wellington
I'm out in the country with all the usual predators. I don't worry about them during the day once they are 5-6 inches. Even big hawks or ravens don't mess with them at that size. I still lock them all up at night every night. They go into their night boxes and I latch the door shut to keep out coons, coyotes, rodents, and any other nocturnal predators. Then I drop the doors open in the morning and they come out when they want.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I'm out in the country with all the usual predators. I don't worry about them during the day once they are 5-6 inches. Even big hawks or ravens don't mess with them at that size. I still lock them all up at night every night. They go into their night boxes and I latch the door shut to keep out coons, coyotes, rodents, and any other nocturnal predators. Then I drop the doors open in the morning and they come out when they want.
Thank you that helps! I'll get to building a nice pen soon just so that I don't lose the turtoise somewhere in the yard. Once they are easier to spot ill let them free roam anywhere in the property. But for now, they have their grazing pen and heated night box.

Cheers!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Have you considered adding ground stakes so the cage couldn't be moved. Something like a door bolt 1631537011758.png

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I made me 4 stakes with a little pull ring and all, but haven't been using them. The little tort definitely can't move the enclosure, and I don't really have any large predators that roam around here. Plus I'm always trying to find the "sweetest" spot for the cage throughout the day so it's easier if it's not tied down.

I have experience with reptiles, but a total tortoise newb, so please do call me out on anything you see wrong.