My New Hermann

Status
Not open for further replies.

steph7564

5 Year Member
I've had my new Hermann for a couple of hours and he's settling in really well and exploring his new home. One question I do have if anyone can help me is that he's completely buried himself. I understand that they partly bury themselves to go to sleep so I'm guessing this is the case but I just wanted to double check as he is completely covered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78

Andrea M

5 Year Member
My Hermann does this too, it's normal behaviour and lovely to see them when they poke their little heads up when they wake up

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Totally normal. Mine often buries down to sleep. Yours is likely doing it as part of his adjustment. He may not eat much, or sleep a lot, for a week or two as he adjusts to his new home! I wouldn't worry about it :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
He's a beauty! Burying themselves also makes them feel more secure when they're scared or confused. My Hermann's, Elsa, completely buried herself EVERY DAY for the first few weeks I had her. Since she has adjusted, she sort of nestles herself down in the dirt to sleep, but she doesn't totally cover herself much any more. She has buried herself tonight because I had some friends over who wanted to see her. She's used to me and my husband, but is unsettled around strangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.