My New Indoor Red Foot Enclosure 3 1/2' x 2' PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kugti

5 Year Member
So 2 weeks ago I bought my girlfriend a red foot for her birthday present (she wanted one) and decided to go all out and built her a custom enclosure. She said it had to look "nice" I spend an entire weekend building a custom 5' by 3' melamine enclosure with a mesh hinged lid. (I will post pictures of this enclosure this coming weekend when i remember to snap picture of it)

Fast forward to this week. I thought her red foot was so cool I went out and bought a young baby one for myself. I build myself a second enclosure in about 2 hours until I had the funds to build him his permanent home which I intend to surpass the gf's enclosure. I think im addicted to building enclosures so any other ideas you guys have would be GREAT! For the time being here is what I came up with...

I used a 6" planting pot as a hiding spot for him. I also built a custom 1 sq foot planting area which has 3 terrarium plants, wheat grass, and seeds in the middle to see if anything could grow. There is a ramp with slats (to hold substrate) I built so he can travel up there for some shade and live food to eat. The brown dish is a mini pool he likes to travel in and out of.

IMAG0260.jpg

There are two ceramic dishes which are smaller than the brown plastic dish each for food and water respectively. There is also another hiding overhang spot I built which is in the bottom right corner.

IMAG0261.jpg

This is a better view of the planting area with the ramp. He really likes it up there to bask in every closer to the heat lamp. Surface temps up there get to be right around 90 degrees.

IMAG0262.jpg

This is just my german shepherd puppy Shutter, wondering what all the new stuff in my room is haha

IMAG0263.jpg

These are the two red foots Sheldon is on the left who is my gf's and Tortellini is the smaller one on the right who is mine.

IMAG0256.jpg

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum, Kugti! You will find more ideas for enclosures than you can shake a stick at by reading the other threads in the Enclosures section. Great job on the enclosure! Please post pics of the other one and the one yet to come. We all learn from others endeavors.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome and Nice job! On a second note, love your dog.....

kugti

5 Year Member
Thanks.

The lighting is a 100 watt basking heat lamp and a 5.0 UVB fluorescent light.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome to the forum. Your enclosure looks so great. One thing....I have a heat emitter instead of a heat light, which gives off no light, just heat. I can't put any plants directly under the heat emitter or they will wilt and die. Just saying...don't know if they will be OK or not directly under your heat light. Just remember to try to keep your humidity high.....low light...high warm humidity...a variety of foods.....great for RF's.

kugti

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Welcome to the forum. Your enclosure looks so great. One thing....I have a heat emitter instead of a heat light, which gives off no light, just heat. I can't put any plants directly under the heat emitter or they will wilt and die. Just saying...don't know if they will be OK or not directly under your heat light. Just remember to try to keep your humidity high.....low light...high warm humidity...a variety of foods.....great for RF's.

So would you recommend i take my heat light back for a heat emitter then? I have moved the heat light away from the plants a bit more as i did notice a little wilt on them this evening. I have 4 types of foot out for him right now, he seems to eat extremely small amounts of what is out there a few different times where my gf's RF eats a ton in 1 sitting. There is a sizeable age different between the two RF so im not sure if that is the reason or not, his undershell is much softer than the older RF as its still developing. My humidity levels are good (85%-95%) as long as a mist all the substrate throughly about twice daily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi kugti:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

vampire5003

5 Year Member
kugti said:
Thanks.

Quick question, is your UVB light a strip light (12-24 inches long) or one of those compact/coil florescent bulbs? I personally prefer Mega-Ray 100w mercury vapor bulb, they last forever and make lot's of UVB.

PS: Love the enclosure :p :tort:

kugti

5 Year Member
vampire5003 said:
kugti said:
Thanks.

Quick question, is your UVB light a strip light (12-24 inches long) or one of those compact/coil florescent bulbs? I personally prefer Mega-Ray 100w mercury vapor bulb, they last forever and make lot's of UVB.

PS: Love the enclosure :p :tort:

It is a compact bulb. What is the advantage of the mercury vapor bulb and does it just replace the UVB bulb?
I am still waiting to figure out if I should replace my heat lamp bulb for a heat emitter. Temps with the current bulb are near perfect around 88 degrees in basking area. I really want good UVB so I can continue to grow live plants in his habitat.

Thanks for the comments and help guys keep it coming. Pictures of the nicer enclosure are coming tomorrow night when im back at the gf house.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The compact bulbs have been known to cause eye problems. They have supposedly been fixed, but we still don't recommend anyone using them.

The benefits of using an MVB (mercury vapor bulb) are heat plus UVB all in one bulb/fixture.

Look up Terryo and read some of her posts about her redfoot habitat. She uses a tube bulb and is totally happy with it. (Not a MVB) She also has some of the prettiest habitats on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.