Status
Not open for further replies.

sportychick

5 Year Member

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
Your torty is super cute. My marginated did that for about two weeks after I got him. I think he was adjusting to the new place.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A new tort can take weeks to settle in.

Can I start by suggesting you read through Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread as this will explain an awful lot to you.

Every new tort takes time to settle in. get into a routine so he knows what to expect and when. A good start to the day is lights on, heat on, soak, feed.

Resist the temptation to stand over your tort watching all the time. the little guy needs to learn to trust you and become brave enough to get on with life :)

A daily soak is essential while your tort is settling in and not eating properly. My soaking tips are:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

You also need to measure the temperatures in 4 important places. These are: 1. Warm end, 2. Cool end, 3. Under the basking lamp and 4. the overnight minimum. Please could you do this and let us know what they are? If it gets too hot or too cold your tort will be inactive.

sportychick

5 Year Member
Thanks :) yeah he gets sunlight it comes into the house and shines on him for a while.. he looks like a healthy tort to me lol... he was out from his hideout from 8 until 430 walking basking eating.and sleeping wherever he really felt.like passing out. :D

sportychick

5 Year Member
Sorrrrry :D lol thanks for the help ... so its safe to take him outside or can I put him on the balcony? Relly scared he.might get sick from eating something he shouldn't lol... I really appriciate all of your help

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sporty....I would be careful housing his entire enclosure in front of a window...if the window gets direct sunshine for any length of time the enclosure can heat quickly.....I lost a bearded dragon years ago because of my desire to give him a view of the trees and birds and such and did not realize that window received hours of late afternoon heat and because of my error he gave up his life....to this day I cringe when I hear an enclosure is in front of window ....as joesmum mentioned...please do not rely on a window to allow the needed uva and uvb...the window magnifies heat but filters out near 60% of the uv rays.

I only mention to give as much natural sunlight as possible and calcium rich foods because the little beauty appears to have a bit of a slant at the rear of the shell and the rear legs seem a little splayed....so that would indicate to me that he would benefit from some additional direct sun time and calcium rich foods....my comment and explanation of my comment is just sharing...he is absolutely beautiful...:D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
He I a cutie! What is the enclosure made of? It looks nice! I am trying to get ideas.

sportychick

5 Year Member
I don't mind I appreciate all the help. And to put u at ease his enclosure is.not right in front of the window and I keep half it shaded when possible :)
Thanks I love the little guy he is just lovely

Blake m said:
He I a cutie! What is the enclosure made of? It looks nice! I am trying to get ideas.

Thanks :D temporarily he is in an aquarium using coco coil but I covered the back and sides with colourful paper :) he's really tiny so it will do for.now but will move him when I can ....

yoda3106

5 Year Member

sportychick

5 Year Member
Oops rofl well i think he looks younger then that but we don't really know based on photos I've seen I'd guess no more then a year from size but who knows lol

Status
Not open for further replies.