My New sulcata tortoise and a few questions

Earl Campbell

After reading and researching for many months, today we got our first baby Sulcata Tortoise. We absolutely love it and are excited beyond belief to have this new member of the family. As with any new animal, we have a few questions that I am hoping I could get some help with.

1. I read that they need both UVB and a heat lamp. In the enclosure, I have a heat lamp on one side and on the opposite side, I have a UVB lamp. Here is the kicker.....I just read that the coil bulbs are hazardous to the sulcata's eyes? Any truth to this? The pet store that we purchased the lights from recommended it and said to make sure this bulb is on at least 12 hours a day.

2. I have only had my little guy for about 8 hours but he has flipped himself over 2 times and im afraid if he flips himself over at night, we will find him dead in the morning. Will they pass if they are flipped over for extended periods of time?

3. In the habitat, I have 2 burrows for him. One is a half log that is just big enough for him to get in and turn around and the other is much larger, maybe a foot by a foot.

4. My home is approximately 70 degrees year round. Do I need to leave the heat lamp on at night or should it be turned off. I read conflicting stories about whether to leave it on or turn it off.

I am sure we will have many more questions over time and appreciate all the help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your first mistake was going to a pet store. Your second was taking advice from them and buying the products they recommended. Sorry. Pet stores are notoriously bad sources of info and products.

SOOOOOO we are all really glad that you have found us, and your tortoise will be glad too!

1. They DO need heat and UV, but there are many ways to accomplish this. Yes, coil bulbs can sometimes burn their eyes. Don't use one.
2. Yes they can die if left upside down long enough. Babies do this a lot. You just have to keep an eye out and try to remove the things that he's using to flip himself. Also, what size enclosure is he in. Pet storse tend to recommend tiny little ones and this makes the flipping thing worse.
3. Ok.
4. They need it 80 degrees and humid at night. This is a tropical species and they need tropical temps.

PLEASE read these for the correct up to date info on this great species:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

The pet store probably sold you the wrong enclosure, the wrong substrate, the wrong food, the wrong bulbs and they almost always sell those ramped death trap water bowls. Many people don't find us and their tortoises don't make it.

Hope we can help and sorry to break the bad news to you about the pet store info.

Earl Campbell

Thanks Tom. This enclosure is 48 inches long and 18 inches wide. He is a very small lil fella (for now) and starting on Wednesday, I am building him a new table with my daughter. This is just a very temporary enclosure. A week, maybe 2 weeks at the very most.

The substrate that we were told to use is a chemical free soil for the bottom and moss/bark for half of the enclosure overtop of the soil.

I actually got a small bag of the food from the breeder, its called Mazura. I also went to the store today and got Romaine, Dandelions and Collard Greens, all of which this lil thing is loving. He really hasnt messed with the mazura but eating the leafy veges like its his last meal. :)

They did try to sell me this water pan but I politely declined. It was entirely too deep and with him turning himself over at times, I just thought that was a recipe for disaster. Thank you for all the help. I wish i could figure out how to post a picture of this little guy. He is really cool.

CHollman82

"I wish i could figure out how to post a picture of this little guy."

go to www.imgur.com and upload the picture there, then post the link. Or you can click the "Upload a file" button right next to the "Post Reply" button when you post a new message.