My new tortoise and healthy dieting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maceon279

5 Year Member
I feed my tortoise a spring mix and/or butter lettuce. Recently I found him eating his Repti-Bark substrate ( forms part of the substrate along with coconut coir) This is a sign of malnutrition and less minerals in diet. He has a cuttle bone. Some of the other foods are harder to find (except for the hardy kale). I also mix in a little carrot once in a while. Any suggestions. I do now he needs a mix and I do posses a list.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I feed my Russian tort a mix of rocket fresh parsley salad cress dandelion flowers and leaves clovers vetches daises rose petals pansies and aloe and I use nutrobal which helps to balance and provide vitamans for the tortoise it's quite expensive but it lasts for a while , I also use cuttlefish bones which are good calcium supplements ... So give it quite a variety make sure it doesn't get fed up of the same food .

I <3 my torts!

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
you can also get Endive, romaine, green leaf, kale was already said, dandelions but make sure they aren't fertilized, hibiscus, things like that. just give variety :) Also you can't rely on cuttlebone. A lot of tortoises don't eat it, or nibble it. Mine doesn't. I would suggest running over to petco or petsmart, going to the reptile aisle and picking yourself up some calcium powder, if he doesn't get any sunshine or UVB then your tort needs to get outside at least twice a week, or you need a UVB light. Sprinkle the powder on his food about twice a week. If your tortoise doesn't get any calcium it can be a major cause of the shell going soft, and you don't want that. So get the powder that way you know its getting calcium, make sure it has UVB/Sunshine to help process the calcium, and he should get better.

Maceon279

5 Year Member
Scratch the dandelions. I couldn't find them. I replaced with collard greens. :D:tort: is eating a mix of 2/5 butter lettuce, 2/5 collard, and 1/5 kale. Kale is strong and I was able to dye water green by washing this nutritious mix. Will be monitoring for eating of bark. Have put a bit excess in case of hungry for later snacking. :):tort: is a healthy :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.