Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yep, what Yvonne said. :)
i hope you didnt pay for him. Even tho the guy who had him had no idea...
cant sell desert torts..
also check again with fish and game.. i think you need a permit, regardless of how you go it. I know in calif you do.
Hopefully with proper diet, sun and some physical therapy he will get use of his legs back. might need some support or wheels for a bit. :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
oh wow, this is very sad. he's a cute little guy w/bright eyes nonetheless. I heard that soft substrate such as rabbit pallets can make it difficult for tortoise to walk on...it's like sinking in the sand, I suppose. I wonder what the real story of the guy is...and what your Vet will say....please keep us posted.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
newtortoiseowner said:
Any suggestions for our table??

Use the table ONLY until the weather gets better and he can be put outside. That is where he belongs and where he will thrive. Outdoors, in the sun.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
franklinwithplants007.jpg

frankeats038.jpg

Hi, Everyone!!!

Well, Franklin has been doing much better...
He has been in his new home for a few weeks now and we have him on a schedule of soaking and feeding him every 3 days. He is eating very well and seems to be doing much better ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SUNSHINE SUNSHINE SUNSHINE!!! Several people on both threads have mentioned it, but I really wanted to emphasize it. A good diet, calcium supplementation, and lots of SUNSHINE, will probably turn this little guy around and get him walking again. Being outside on natural ground and grazing on grass and weeds will work wonders for him. I'd soak him at least every other day too.

Your enclosure looks great. Nice job. Your light bulb will work better if you somehow mount it directly overhead. I usually hang them by their cords. This is much safer AND it allows you to adjust the height to get your temp just right. Those clamps ALWAYS fail eventually.

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
Ahhh, yes ;) We've been letting him outside after the soak and feeding time (however, he seems scared and just wants to hide and usually ends up falling asleep) We've also gotten a new light and have it mounted just over 1/2 of the enclosure :) I'll be soaking him every other day from now on, thanks for the tip!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh wow! What a nice enclosure. You did a great job.

Am I to understand that you only feed Franklin every three days? In my opinion, he should get food every day.

Once you notice that he's walking better, you can change out the carpeting for substrate. But it looks good. I'm sure it helps him to get traction.

M

Maggie Cummings

He needs to be fed every day. You can soak every 3 days if you want, but please feed him daily. Fix your light so it's not shining at an angle, the UVB waves need to be pointed straight down...

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
emysemys said:
Oh wow! What a nice enclosure. You did a great job.

Am I to understand that you only feed Franklin every three days? In my opinion, he should get food every day.

Once you notice that he's walking better, you can change out the carpeting for substrate. But it looks good. I'm sure it helps him to get traction.

well we just figured since he would be hibernating to let him sleep but maybe we will start waking him up everyday...
he definitely walks alot better on the carpet than on the substrate!
we love this little guy and have become quite obsessed! who knew?!! :) I appreciate all tips and any info I get from all of you ;) Thank you so much!!

frank001.jpg

frank004-1.jpg

endofjanuary014.jpg

endofjanuary013.jpg

Ok, so I will feed him everyday... keep up with the calcium as I have for a few more weeks and then cut back to 3x a wk... Sunshine! EVERYDAY, lots of beautiful Arizona sun rays ;) & will start soaking him every other day...
This lil guy will be walking in no time, I just know it!

montana

5 Year Member
Looks like a classic case of M.D.B.. Too bad .. The vet can give you calcium
.. But you will need to get your tort out in the sun or under a good MVB ..

Improvement is possible But problems later are common ..

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
montana said:
Looks like a classic case of M.D.B.. Too bad .. The vet can give you calcium
.. But you will need to get your tort out in the sun or under a good MVB ..

Improvement is possible But problems later are common ..

We sprinkle calcium on his food and I just read about putting baby food in the water that we soak him in... might give that a try.
We have a 160watt MVB and he has been getting sun every 3 days... we thought because he would normally be hibernating to let him sleep but now we know to wake him daily, feed him and get this lil duded out everyday!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I hate seeing poor little torts in bad condition like this, but I love, love, LOVE hearing a good rescue story, especially when it's someone who unknowingly stumbles into the situation but resolves to do whatever they can to give the little one(s) a good life.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
hmmm Franklin looks more like a Texas tortoise for me... doesnt he?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought that at first too, Armondo, but Egyptiandan set me straight right off the bat. I think its just because the little guy has spent his whole life indoors.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I just read this whole thread. Great job, you are doing it!! You are saving Franklin!! I wish Franklin all the best! I have no expert advice to give so I am sending positive vibes.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Leebug said:
Just got a new lil guy and wondering what kind it is... I'll post pics as soon as I figure that out.

Seems to be problem #1 right here. Why would you buy it not knowing what it is... ?

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
i had a tortoise i got from a reptile show. got him home ,& he used his tail as a leg . both back leg no good. mbd was the prob. he needs a vet. good luck. momo

Leebug

5 Year Member
Arizona
SnakeyeZ said:
Leebug said:
Just got a new lil guy and wondering what kind it is... I'll post pics as soon as I figure that out.

Seems to be problem #1 right here. Why would you buy it not knowing what it is... ?

we didn't buy it~ we saved him from a guy who could no longer take care of him, then found out how bad off the little guy was actually doing... I had been looking into getting a tort, so when we came accross this guy we figured we'd give it a try~ sick or not, we had to save Franklin, he was in a tiny tank w/ nothing but a cardboard box :(

CtTortoiseMom said:
I just read this whole thread. Great job, you are doing it!! You are saving Franklin!! I wish Franklin all the best! I have no expert advice to give so I am sending positive vibes.

Thank you!!! I've become quite obsessed and have fallen head-over-heels for this lil guy ;) I can't get enough of him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.