my new tortoise table for my red foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeek0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
I just built this yesterday and got everything I needed for my male and female red foots I will be getting in a couple days. They are about 5" and the table is about 5' long x 2 1/2' wide x 1 1/2 tall. I know I'm gonna need a bigger water dish, but this is all I've got for now.
I put regular potting soil at the bottom, set up all my plants where I wanted them, added more soil, then I added a tropical substrate from PetSmart over all of that (they said its what they use for all their red foots)
I left one side soil, so I could grow natural plants for them to eat, like: kale, spinach, some grass seeds, and other plants.

Let me know what you think and If any of my plants I had put down in the table are bad for the tortoises let me know about that as well. I'm fairly new to owning and taking care of red foots, so any information will help. :)
thank you for your time,
Brandon:tort:

table.jpg
tableee.jpg
table side.jpg
tableeee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
This Looks Really Realy Really Great, Very Natural!
I know Your Torts Will Love It

beeek0

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Thank you very much! I put a lot of effort into this one. I hope they'll love it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I also think they will like it, I have only one suggestion and it is minor, but my red foot I notice often likes to bask early morning on rocks that I have put in his outdoor enclosure, it might be something to think about but it is more of a personal choice than anything else. but very nice enclosure.

beeek0

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
okayy, thank you for the suggestion. I will probably rearrange some of their rocks to the basking areas.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Just another minor suggestion, because I caught mine doing it today or trying to do it..

On picture 4, you have the rock wall, rock and then log hide. I like the way it looks, but be carefull if you see them climbing on the rocks, because they could rock backwards.

I didn't notice that I had rotated the hide entrance when I was getting one out last night and I caught Gypsy trying to climb behind it between wall, hide and rock. He couldn't do, it but he was sure giving it a try.

Again, just a suggestion. It looks very natural and you are going to find that they like that natural soil. I wasn't a true believer until I built my outside enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi beeek0:

Welcome to the forum!!

I SO, SO, SO like that habitat. What a pretty design. And it looks so comfortable for the little tortoise.

May we know your name and where you are?

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
beeek0 said:
I just built this yesterday and got everything I needed for my male and female red foots I will be getting in a couple days. They are about 5" and the table is about 5' long x 2 1/2' wide x 1 1/2 tall. I know I'm gonna need a bigger water dish, but this is all I've got for now.
I put regular potting soil at the bottom, set up all my plants where I wanted them, added more soil, then I added a tropical substrate from PetSmart over all of that (they said its what they use for all their red foots)
I left one side soil, so I could grow natural plants for them to eat, like: kale, spinach, some grass seeds, and other plants.

Let me know what you think and If any of my plants I had put down in the table are bad for the tortoises let me know about that as well. I'm fairly new to owning and taking care of red foots, so any information will help. :)
thank you for your time,
Brandon:tort:

That is beautiful. You have inspired me. We just adopted a 2.5 yr old leopard tortoise names Camilla. I love your tort table. That is what I will be making this weekend. Nice job.

beeek0

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Thank you emysemys! My name is Brandon and I am from Tucson, Arizona.
also, thank you for the suggestion dixieparadise, I will keep an eye on them to see if they try to climb all over it.

and thank you to everyone else who likes my turt table :) it makes me happy to see people liked my project.

M

Maggie Cummings

Brandon, that is a beautiful habitat. I am concerned about lighting...if you get a MVB you'll need a lamp with a ceramic base. Redfoots don't need a MVB but some people get them anyways so I thought I might mention it. I really like your log hide too...

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi
Congrats on the tortoises.
Your enclosure is beautiful and roomy for them.
Just wondering if the wood type sides are up to significant moisture if you are going to need to spray them lots to keep up the humidity?
Not sure what material it is?

I may try some soil myself-I use peat moss but it dries fairly quickly.

Enjoy your tortoises-very nice!

Louise

beeek0

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Thank you maggie3fan, I will look into what you have told me. Thank you very much.
Tortoise, I bought tropical substrate from Petsmart, I forgot the exact name but they said its what they use for their red foots so I just went with what he told me. But I also have a chameleon so I have to often spray his cage and the table is in the same room so I don't mind too much.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
beeek0 said:
Thank you maggie3fan, I will look into what you have told me. Thank you very much.
Tortoise, I bought tropical substrate from Petsmart, I forgot the exact name but they said its what they use for their red foots so I just went with what he told me. But I also have a chameleon so I have to often spray his cage and the table is in the same room so I don't mind too much.

What does tropical substrate have in it?
I am always looking for improvements for substrates to retain humidity.
I find spagnum moss in their hide is staying nice and moist too.

Cool you have a chameleon too-very interesting creatures.

beeek0

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Im not exactly sure, but it seems pretty good for keeping in the moisture. Yeah, I love feeding them haha they're tongues are so cool.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Hi "JoJo" !

This looks really nice, I wish I could have some plants and green stuff in my enclosures, but my big RF's either would eat it all up or tear it all down !

However, it looks like one of your RF's is already having a sneak preview of your new enclosure ? He sits in the first and third picture upper left corner, so you're going to have a third bonus RF, mate ! Did you check the bag with the substrate so that it only contained substrate and nothing else ? :tort:

Maybe he should "Get Back" to where he once belonged ? :D

beeek0

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
geonchelone_carbonaria, thank you. Yes, that is my little baby haha he only has about a 3" carapace right now. Cant wait to get my others though!.. and what did you mean by "if it only contained substrate and nothing else?"

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
beeek0 said:
geonchelone_carbonaria, thank you. Yes, that is my little baby haha he only has about a 3" carapace right now. Cant wait to get my others though!.. and what did you mean by "if it only contained substrate and nothing else?"

Cos you wrote that you only waited for your two new redfoots, and you did not mention that you already hade one ! So I was just kidding you since that little baby might had been included in your bag of substrate... :D

It looks really nice !!! They gonna love it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.