My new tortoises smell funny

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have had four Redfoot tortoises for a while. Including my sick one. I never notice any bad smells.
Two days ago I got three more Redfoot. These guys smell badly. There are also flies near them. I can't find a particular tortoise or area on any of them That smells. It just smells around them and especially inside their house.
I'm thinking that it was diet or them being left to walk and live in their own poop. (Before I got them) They came in a wire rabbit cage. All three of them jammed in there. When they walk around they travel one behind the other like they are afraid to explore.
I'm going to soak / bathe them individually. Has any one had a stinky tort and how did you cure it.
Yes. They are in isolation from my other torts.

Attachments

• 20150722_171907.jpg
    20150722_171907.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 90

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I am guessing the smell is due to how they were previously housed. I would soak them individually, give them a scrub and let them be. I am sure there will be minimal odor after they dry off. They are in good hands now and I am sure will receive the best of care.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have had four Redfoot tortoises for a while. Including my sick one. I never notice any bad smells.
Two days ago I got three more Redfoot. These guys smell badly. There are also flies near them. I can't find a particular tortoise or area on any of them That smells. It just smells around them and especially inside their house.
I'm thinking that it was diet or them being left to walk and live in their own poop. (Before I got them) They came in a wire rabbit cage. All three of them jammed in there. When they walk around they travel one behind the other like they are afraid to explore.
I'm going to soak / bathe them individually. Has any one had a stinky tort and how did you cure it.
Yeah could be they just need a few good soaks to loosen any dried poop. When Lola has walked through his before I get home I am amazed at how much comes off his feet and legs even though they may not look that bad.
Sounds like they have a much better home now.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Ed. I seem to have understood that the torts you're talking about here, are 'new' to your place, aren't they? If so, they may not have looked after, soaked well and so on. You, I am sure, will be able to do ALL that, and look after them.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
The one redfoot I rescued had an awful smell. It dissipated over the weeks of having him. It was pretty rank too. He also lived in horrible conditions and was fed a poor diet. Your new redfoots are very nice looking!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I would say it was their previous diet.
We know as human beings that what you eat contributes to the aroma of what you pass.
Now that they are being fed your dietary regimè, I would bet that in no time at all the smell will be the same.

Keith D.

Arizona
I would def soak and scrub them up really well, then rub the with a little EVCO. The smell could be bacterial or fungal, both in which the EVCO will help with. Hope this helps lol