My Newest Additions: Rats!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So as a belated birthday gift my boyfriend gave me permission to get rats. These guys are young and while handled lots, they're a bit jumpy to new things. Like the sound of a camera shutter which causes them to flip out and freeze, so I apologize for the meh quality camera phone pictures!

The blue boy is a dumbo and the black and white boy is a rex coat. She said he wasn't dumbo but his ears look every bit as large as the blue boy's. I do need name suggestions too!

rat1_zps055623cf.jpg

rat2_zps43c85c0e.jpg

rat3_zps1697439c.jpg

rat4_zps382d1460.jpg

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I will say this; I think they are really cute! Had a rat, when I was about 16. Her name was Dolly. She would respond to her name and if I allowed her to run around the house, she would come when called. My parents even grew quite fond of her.
Hopefully they have a wheel, as they love their excercise. Have fun with the boys!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I'm letting them settle in first. Right now they're in a ten gallon tank because with how skittish they are I fear to put them in something huge and have them go wild or freak out. They were kept in small plastic tubs at the breeder's so I didn't want to change things up too quickly on them until they've settled in to the smells/sounds here.

I'm hoping to litterbox train them but with boys, who knows. One of them does keep poo'ing in the same spot so I put a tray down there and keep moving all the poos to it.

I emailed the breeder and asked their birthdates and she said around October 10th. That makes them less than 5 weeks old which probably explains their skittishness.. :-/

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I could never cage/litter train my males but know people who did easily. Congrats on the new babies!!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I have a friend who has had rats for years. Their lifespan isn't all that long so she has had many. I think she is down to two now. She goes to the rat fests and everything.
She makes little hammocks and other cage accessories and sells them.
Here is one of hers:

Attachments

• 1384463485881.jpg
    1384463485881.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 56

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
They're pretty bouncy and don't like sitting still so I did the backwards hooded sweatshirt to put them in the hood and work on bonding. Of course I took a few pictures.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384545174.682390.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384545199.817622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Awww, so cute!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Cute! I never had a rat...most likely because I always had a cat in the house. But I know that they make nice little pets...very smart.
~C

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
AnnV said:
I have a friend who has had rats for years. Their lifespan isn't all that long so she has had many. I think she is down to two now. She goes to the rat fests and everything.
She makes little hammocks and other cage accessories and sells them.
Here is one of hers:

Pretty fancy! :)

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
It's funny because my boyfriend suggested Basil as well (we were having Italian).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My kids had rats (most likely it was because Mom decided a couple of rats were "too cute" to be fed to the snake). All was fine until somebody left the lid off enough the half grown litter could escape. Something like 10 rats running wild in the house. Not fine. :(

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
RosieRedfoot said:
It's funny because my boyfriend suggested Basil as well (we were having Italian).

Funny because Basil was the first one that came into my head. I thought of Fievel too but just doesn't have the right ring to it.