My newest BFF!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hey, everybody...meet Bishop!
He's an approximately 5 yr old shepherd mix, but the shepherd is very dominant. We have no idea what he's mixed with, but it seems to be giving him his small (but mighty) stature.
20220617_164600.jpg
I adopted him from our local humane society on Fri. He has a rather sad story. He was hit by a car on the main street of town, which is very busy with traffic. This happened in April. The shelter went to get him out of the street since he was seriously injured and couldn't walk. They immediately took him to the vet, who diagnosed a fractured pelvis and femur.

Surgery was done, and he stayed at the vet until last week to stay on crate rest and be given physical therapy on his leg.

Later on the day he was hit, his owner came by the shelter demanding to know where he was and to take him home. The shelter told him that he was seriously injured and at the vet having surgery. His response "I'm not paying for that!". So the shelter said "I guess we have another dog then".

He is the sweetest, most laid back, easy going shepherd I've ever known. The vet staff were impressed that he allowed all their ministrations without a whimper. I just brought him home Fri, and left him loose in the house with my other 2 small dogs while I went to church this morning.

When his fur grows in and I get a couple lbs on him, he is going to be gorgeous.

I couldn't be happier with him! He's a keeper!
20220617_191822.jpg

20220618_145749.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Aw, he's so cute! Makes you wonder what kind of life he had before that they gave him up without a fight.
I was told that he lived outside with 5 or 6 other shepherds. But he seems to understand indoor living, so I wonder if that's true.

There hasn't been an accident, he was left at home for several hours this morning, he knows "sit",...it's hard for me to believe he has lived outside.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
And people wonder I love animals so much but not humans. I would and have paid dearly for my pets.
Glad you got him. He is a cutie.
I know what you mean. Last year I authorized and paid for surgery for my 15? year old dog, to the tune of $3600. Some people think I was nuts.

I think I'm so glad he's still with me. He's ready to go any time, anywhere, he enjoys life..he certainly didn't deserve to be allowed to bleed to death.

When the vet told me the cost prior to surgery, I didn't hesitate a moment. He is a precious life, and I love him dearly.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Hey, everybody...meet Bishop!
He's an approximately 5 yr old shepherd mix, but the shepherd is very dominant. We have no idea what he's mixed with, but it seems to be giving him his small (but mighty) stature.
View attachment 346226
I adopted him from our local humane society on Fri. He has a rather sad story. He was hit by a car on the main street of town, which is very busy with traffic. This happened in April. The shelter went to get him out of the street since he was seriously injured and couldn't walk. They immediately took him to the vet, who diagnosed a fractured pelvis and femur.

Surgery was done, and he stayed at the vet until last week to stay on crate rest and be given physical therapy on his leg.

Later on the day he was hit, his owner came by the shelter demanding to know where he was and to take him home. The shelter told him that he was seriously injured and at the vet having surgery. His response "I'm not paying for that!". So the shelter said "I guess we have another dog then".

He is the sweetest, most laid back, easy going shepherd I've ever known. The vet staff were impressed that he allowed all their ministrations without a whimper. I just brought him home Fri, and left him loose in the house with my other 2 small dogs while I went to church this morning.

When his fur grows in and I get a couple lbs on him, he is going to be gorgeous.

I couldn't be happier with him! He's a keeper!
View attachment 346227

View attachment 346228
That’s one lucky dog, and so proud to hear that a big hearted person got him. There’s no better feeling than helping a animal, taking it into your home and loving it. I think animals know, and most will give back more love 💕.
Gerry

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know what you mean. Last year I authorized and paid for surgery for my 15? year old dog, to the tune of $3600. Some people think I was nuts.

I think I'm so glad he's still with me. He's ready to go any time, anywhere, he enjoys life..he certainly didn't deserve to be allowed to bleed to death.

When the vet told me the cost prior to surgery, I didn't hesitate a moment. He is a precious life, and I love him dearly.
Understood
"Animal people" will do everything that they can to help a life that they're responsible for.
I once spent about $2,100 on vet bills, etc on a $200 tortoise. And more recently $650 for a $35 chameleon.
If that doesn't shock you, then you are one of us.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Understood
"Animal people" will do everything that they can to help a life that they're responsible for.
I once spent about $2,100 on vet bills, etc on a $200 tortoise. And more recently $650 for a $35 chameleon.
If that doesn't shock you, then you are one of us.
Yep, I'm one of you! 🤣

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is my newest best friend. Lacey is 2 years old and I’ve had all but the first 8 weeks of her time with us.
She's beautiful!! I've never had a German Shepherd (mix) before. I was very good friends with a couple of them many years ago, and thought the shedding was just too much. But when we fall in love, hair everywhere doesn't have much validity any more.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
She's beautiful!! I've never had a German Shepherd (mix) before. I was very good friends with a couple of them many years ago, and thought the shedding was just too much. But when we fall in love, hair everywhere doesn't have much validity any more.
My husband and I have three Golden Retrievers. They are 13, 7, and 3 years old. There is A LOT of vacuuming involved, but a heart wants what a heart wants.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My husband and I have three Golden Retrievers. They are 13, 7, and 3 years old. There is A LOT of vacuuming involved, but a heart wants what a heart wants.
So very true! I've always wanted a golden, but it wasn't meant to be. I did help my friend when she was given a very old golden that was found on the side of the road in a terrific wind and rain storm. Buddy was with her only for a year and we had to help him on his way to the Rainbow Bridge. One of the sweetest dogs I've ever known...he truly was grateful for a warm home, good food, and 4 more furry siblings.