My newest "rescue" Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I found an ad on Craigslist for this Big Momma.

5K95M45Ja3G13Ke3H9bcqa86b7402ecf31a30.jpg

5Lb5Ge5M93J53p03Nbbcq8398682dfd731d84.jpg

The guy wanted $125 for her and her tank. I have no need for a tank full of sand, so I managed to talk him into $50 for just the tortoise.

After a few snafus due to weather issues, I finally met up with him New Years Eve to pick the big gal up.

(Crappy cell phone pics, but you will get the idea, lol.)

Her beak and nails were pretty overgrown.

123111173913.jpg

123111173925.jpg

I don't have a pic of her back feet, but her nails were overgrown to the point that her back feet are a bit curled. Along with the over grown nails, a combination of MBD (she is sunken over the hips and has some scutes that are fused together as well) and the sand she was kept on (poor traction) caused her to have some mobility issues with her back legs (she pushes and scoots instead of walking upright.)

New face after a quick beak trim -

123111174517.jpg

These pictures show the stuck together scutes. What I mean by stuck together is that instead of growing symmetrically all the way around each scute, she grew more on some sides and not at all on others. Surprisingly, her over all shape is symmetric. What caused the sticking was a combination of chronic dehydration and MBD.

123111174528.jpg

123111174545.jpg

123111174555.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a pair of Russians that needed a home, a good sized male and a large female. The new female, who I have dubbed Innya, is a 6 1/4" monster. She is a big gal. Unfortunately, she weighs less than 400 grams and although definitely female, her plastron is concave from being so underfed and dehydrated for so long.

Here she is next to one of my original gals.

123111175449.jpg

So, the name of the game over the next few months is to get her fattened up and well hydrated and ready to go play outside in the spring.

Thanks again to those that made it possible for me to get this big gal and help her.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
RE: My newest "rescue" Russian

Nice job on that beak :) keep is posted!! I'd love to adopt her :)!! What's her name?? Noel ;)? Santa's little helper??

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Her name is Innya, going along with the Russian theme (Darya, Sveta, Vanya, Fyodor, Ananya, and Nurai.)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Lucky, lucky little tort. Putting her outside in the nice weather will be MOST satisfying! Doesn't get any better. :)

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
She is HUGE! She's a lucky girl. Thank you for getting her!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Happy to see another happy ending Kristina! You are an angel!!! :D keep us posted on her weight gain if you don't mind, I'm very interested to see how much she will gain and how fast before spring. Have a great night!!
Oh, wanted to ask if you know about how old she is also, thanks!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
There is no real way of knowing... My best guesstimate would be 12-20 years old. She was was probably 6-10 years old when she was originally wild caught.

I will for sure keep everyone updated ;)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am really sad about her face :( but at least she is in a good home now where she can get help.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Her face? He face is okay, she just had a beak that was a bit too long. I did a beak trim, and after she eats some harder foods for a bit, it shouldn't be a problem anymore ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.