My newly-bought tortoise is a picky eater,is it normal?

Ryuken15

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta,Indonesia
My recently bought cherry head tortoise is a picky eater.He is still small,about 6.5-7cm in length.I bought him 4 days ago.He is not very active unless I bring him out of his enclosure and let him roam around,sometimes indoor,but usually outdoor.I also keep watch of him,so that he isn't in danger.He doesn't want to eat the vegetables tht I give him.He likes fruits,such as kiwi and grapes and he likes mini elephant grass and clover.When I gave him the vegetables,such as bok choy,he just put his head near the leaf,sniff it,and leave.I just want to know,is this normal?Pls help,THX

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
Pretty normal, just keep the fruit away until he eats his veggies. Dandelion, bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash are all good choices. He is a little guy still so will probably spend more time hiding than eating anyway so it will take him a while to adjust to his new surroundings. So don;t worry about him being inactive, that's pretty much how they survive in the forest, just hiding all day.

daniellenc

Maryland
I second this. Try chopping everything really small and mixing it all together. If you have access to dandelion leaves and flowers, hibiscus, cactus, rose of Sharon, plaintain, turnip and radish greens, hasta leaves and flowers or any other safe weeds add those chopped very fine as well. It may take a week or two but he’ll come around.

Ryuken15

Jakarta,Indonesia
Pretty normal, just keep the fruit away until he eats his veggies. Dandelion, bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash are all good choices. He is a little guy still so will probably spend more time hiding than eating anyway so it will take him a while to adjust to his new surroundings. So don;t worry about him being inactive, that's pretty much how they survive in the forest, just hiding all day.
Ok thanks

Ryuken15

Jakarta,Indonesia
I second this. Try chopping everything really small and mixing it all together. If you have access to dandelion leaves and flowers, hibiscus, cactus, rose of Sharon, plaintain, turnip and radish greens, hasta leaves and flowers or any other safe weeds add those chopped very fine as well. It may take a week or two but he’ll come around.
Do I chop fruits too?

Ryuken15

Jakarta,Indonesia
Btw this is the grass that he is eating,the mini elephant grass and clover

Attachments

• 15313668495651989548934.jpg
    15313668495651989548934.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My recently bought cherry head tortoise is a picky eater.He is still small,about 6.5-7cm in length.I bought him 4 days ago.He is not very active unless I bring him out of his enclosure and let him roam around,sometimes indoor,but usually outdoor.I also keep watch of him,so that he isn't in danger.He doesn't want to eat the vegetables tht I give him.He likes fruits,such as kiwi and grapes and he likes mini elephant grass and clover.When I gave him the vegetables,such as bok choy,he just put his head near the leaf,sniff it,and leave.I just want to know,is this normal?Pls help,THX

Yup.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Babies spend most of their time hiding from predators. He's most active when you take him out to roam because he's scared and looking for a hiding place. Its normal for them to be picky and prefer fruit. What everyone suggested is the same I would. Chop everything finely and mix it together so he doesn't have a choice and can't pick thru it.