My night time tortoise routine [emoji7]

NB98x

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Soooo I give Daisy 10-15 min soaks in warm water almost daily every 3 days at the most & have recently started applying a thin layer of coconut oil (100% cold pressed virgin organic obviously and no I don't do this every single time I soak her) to her SHELL ONLY before anyone points out I don't apply it to her skin as this could possibly interfere with uva/b absorption (they only absorb this through their skin not their shells) after a few mins I wipe off the excess w a soft clean cloth and let her have a walk around the room before feeding her a little and putting her back into her enclosure for the night [emoji7] I then turn off her lamp and turn on her heat mat to ensure she is nice and warm . Also she has a stone inside her table which files her nails slowly and naturally as she walks over it [emoji1419] her favourite foods are banana (once in a while treat) and dandelion flowers/leaves . She also loves to have a wee drink from the bath when I soak her . I just love looking after her she is like my baby [emoji7] * some folk will say that putting coconut oil on a tortoise is cruel but it is not . I have done quite a bit of research on this topic before I started doing it myself and found absolutely nothing that would suggest it's bad or harmful to the tortoise . Therefore I will continue to do so I have heard of other people doing the same & their torts are not affected negatively by it . From my own experience of doing this with Daisy it makes the shell shiny and in my own opinion (not a fact) it makes the shell somewhat cleaner as coconut oil helps kill off any potential fungus/bacteria * everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I get that entirely but this is just my tortoise care/hygiene routine it works for me and for Daisy she is happy having frequent soaks and she enjoys having the oil massaged into her shell !!!!! IMG_7291.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You sure are defending your actions preemptively. "Loaded for bear", as the saying goes over here...

I think the coconut oil is fine, but I have concerns about some of the other things. Should I offer suggestions or keep my opinions and experience to myself?

NB98x

Scotland
You sure are defending your actions preemptively. "Loaded for bear", as the saying goes over here...

I think the coconut oil is fine, but I have concerns about some of the other things. Should I offer suggestions or keep my opinions and experience to myself?

Sorry I’ve not been on here for idk how long . Feel free to share ur opinions w me I might learn something :)