My Radiata weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dae

5 Year Member
Hi All,

As you know I added some lovely new Radiata to my collection a few months ago and I thought I would post because I have just weighed them for the first time since the day they arrived (no idea why I left it so long, I weigh my horsefields every week)!!!

Here is their weight gain-

Tort 18.5.10-----------18.7.10

cb04 750g-------------1,023kg
cb06 246g---------------265g
cb07 159g---------------174g
cb08 111g---------------122g
cb09 80g----------------91g

So I'm sure you can guess the one I am concerned about. Humperdink has had a massive weight gain at over 250g in 8 weeks!!! He has noticable new growth but it seems smooth enough. I have been feeding them every 2-3 days on a mix of weeds, grasses, romaine, red pepper, carrott, cucumber and flowers. The breeder I got him from did say he feeds them very little for slow smooth growth. But he seemed a little 'hollow' feeling when I got him and now he seems more solid. He is a comparable weight to a med tort of his size (15.5cms) but any thoughts, am I feeding him too much perhaps. He also does massive poos!!!!

dae

5 Year Member
Hiya Dan!!!

Thanks for your quick reply- really tho gaining a third of his body weight in 8 weeks is OK, he a complete pig with food, very agressive with his chomps, like the world will end if he stops to take a breath!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Yes thats okay as he was probably a bit underweight to begin with. They should feel like rocks when you pick them up. :)

Danny

dae

5 Year Member
Thanks Dan, Yes he feels exactly like a rock, great I'll keep doing what I'm doing then !!!

(Ps thanks for sorting out my formatting!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.