My radiated won't eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
I guess this is the time to ask about my sick tort..

So he or she has not eaten anything for +- 6 months and he or she still health at all, no sign of RNS, pneunomia, or else..

I already visit a vet for many times, the vet said there's nothing wrong, even I did check the urine, and the poop but still got nothing..

The body was clean from any parasite, bacteria or any worms..

I already gave flagyl (metronidazole), vet gave baytril and shot some vitamins and NaCl everytime I visit there..

But still she or he don't want to touch any food at all..

For now sometimes after I soaked her or him and she or he drank the water, she or he will puke some water,.

The weight a lil bit decreased right now after 6 months, but still normal, and my vets did not have (even) a single clue whats wrong with her or him..

Can someone pls help me to figure it out?

Thanks a lot for your helps!:)

Minority1

5 Year Member
evlinLoutries said:
Anyone can help?

I was a Tortoise before!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-17785.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-35357.html

I've read around the forums about vitamin shots and wanted proof before posting. my question is why did the vets give your tortoise salt? vitamin shots can have a negative effect for tortoises and cause them to lose their appetites. some more worst cases are posted on the links.

I read somewhere puking was a sign of worm infection. Come up with a fecal sample however you can to prove this.

If fecal samples that were given were cleared than it's probably something to do with the way you're housing and feeding it.

More information would help.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Minority1 said:
evlinLoutries said:
Anyone can help?

I was a Tortoise before!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-17785.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-35357.html

I've read around the forums about vitamin shots and wanted proof before posting. my question is why did the vets give your tortoise salt? vitamin shots can have a negative effect for tortoises and cause them to lose their appetites. some more worst cases are posted on the links.

I read somewhere puking was a sign of worm infection. Come up with a fecal sample however you can to prove this.

If fecal samples that were given were cleared than it's probably something to do with the way you're housing and feeding it.

More information would help.

What do u mean by tortoise salt?

Well, idk why he do that, but he the only vet who capable of taking care of tort..

There are no worms at all, all clean..

I do keep them same like my others radiated, I had many radiateds but this one is the one and only who suffer this thing..

I was a Tortoise before!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I really think you need to give more info, like how you keep and house your tortoise. Does he have access to heat to warm up his body. do you keep him inside or outside, how big is he, how long have you had him. Maybe post pictures of how he is housed

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
bigred said:
I really think you need to give more info, like how you keep and house your tortoise. Does he have access to heat to warm up his body. do you keep him inside or outside, how big is he, how long have you had him. Maybe post pictures of how he is housed

Well, I've been kept her for 1 and a half years, and I kept them outside..

All morning she had access directly to sunlight..

Shes around 8", well, at night the temp is always around 26-28 C, so I don't gave them any more heat source at night..

Her diets along with greens vegetables, grapes leaf, murbei leaf, hibiscus leaf and flower, opuntia and some grass at her place..

I was a Tortoise before!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Where is he/she located and where did you get her?
An xray is an option if she is a female. There are some other diseases that can cause tortoises to stop eating. Depending on where this tortoise is kept, sending samples for analysis may not be possible or possible. The University of Florida Veterinary Lab can test for a variety of diseases tortoises get. That may help in your case. You need to provide more information to help come up with a diagnosis.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
deadheadvet said:
Where is he/she located and where did you get her?
An xray is an option if she is a female. There are some other diseases that can cause tortoises to stop eating. Depending on where this tortoise is kept, sending samples for analysis may not be possible or possible. The University of Florida Veterinary Lab can test for a variety of diseases tortoises get. That may help in your case. You need to provide more information to help come up with a diagnosis.

Outdoor, on the soil with grass on top..

From friends of mine,. Idk whats the sex, cause I think 8" if radiated still hard to find the sex..

My other problems is I live in indonesia, southeast asia..

And there's no xray machine here at vet..

But checking from the result of her lab is fine..

At first she stop eating, I offer some squash fruit and she eating it, but after 1 day, she stop, even I change the fruit she won't eat it, just smell the fruits..

I was a Tortoise before!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
evlinLoutries said:
bigred said:

Shes around 8", well, at night the temp is always around 26-28 C, so I don't gave them any more heat source at night..

Her diets along with greens vegetables, grapes leaf, murbei leaf, hibiscus leaf and flower, opuntia and some grass at her place..

I was a Tortoise before!

Sounds like its warm enough at night, when you first got her was she eating everything

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
bigred said:
evlinLoutries said:
bigred said:

I was a Tortoise before!

Sounds like its warm enough at night, when you first got her was she eating everything

Yup, its warm..

Yeah, she does eat everything I gave her..

But suddenly it drops..

I thought she was stress, so I kept her alone in a big place, just alone and not touching her at all, but still after 2 weeks shes still not eat anything..

She survive cause sometimes I force feed her, and soaked her..

I was a Tortoise before!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds like she could be impacted from being on the sand before. Do you see any feces?

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
deadheadvet said:
Where did you get her?

From friends of mine

I was a Tortoise before!

emysemys said:
It sounds like she could be impacted from being on the sand before. Do you see any feces?

I don't put them in sand, I use soil with grass top on it..

Sand on my other thread was a long time ago and I never use sand anymore..

It's been a long time for me not to see her feces, but shes still pee

I was a Tortoise before!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's time for you to try to find someone who has tube-fed a tortoise before and learn how to do it. Your tortoise can't live much longer without eating. Just remember, when tube feeding, that a tortoise's metabolism is much slower than a mammal's and tube feeding every 3rd day would be the thing to do, not every day. But after a couple weeks of tubing if you see no feces, then the tortoise's internal system has either shut down, or she is impacted.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
emysemys said:
I think it's time for you to try to find someone who has tube-fed a tortoise before and learn how to do it. Your tortoise can't live much longer without eating. Just remember, when tube feeding, that a tortoise's metabolism is much slower than a mammal's and tube feeding every 3rd day would be the thing to do, not every day. But after a couple weeks of tubing if you see no feces, then the tortoise's internal system has either shut down, or she is impacted.

Do u mean force feeding?
I did try that..

And whats the best for the feeding?

Fruits?

I was a Tortoise before!

deadheadvet said:
More specific. What country did she come from?

Well, I bought from ppl who live in the same country with me..

To spesific, Indonesia

I was a Tortoise before!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Since you don't have a lot of diagnostics available, you may have to take the approach of throwing everything at this tortoises and hope for the best.
Ceftazidine 20mg/km I.M. Every 3 days intramuscularly x 14 days
Metronidazole 20mg/kg daily orally x 14 days
Ponazuril 15mg/kg every other day for 30 days

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
deadheadvet said:
Since you don't have a lot of diagnostics available, you may have to take the approach of throwing everything at this tortoises and hope for the best.
Ceftazidine 20mg/km I.M. Every 3 days intramuscularly x 14 days
Metronidazole 20mg/kg daily orally x 14 days
Ponazuril 15mg/kg every other day for 30 days

Ok, thanks a lot.. I'll bring this to my vet..

Hopes the medicine is available in indonesia.. But metronidazole is available

I was a Tortoise before!

Status
Not open for further replies.