My Rads update diet and growth log

x-tank

Location (City and/or State)
Palos Verdes Peninsula,California 90274
just an update of my radiated tortoises. Let me know if everything is ok. You are welcome to comment anything you see here.
1. The two from TC ( turtle conservancy ) had huge growth spurts. not sure why.
2. I dewormed them with panacur in 12/2018 and 1/2019 period according manufacture treatment schedule.
3. around the same time 12/2018-1/12019 I stopped feeding them market spring mix. I switched them my own garden grown greens. ( see attached pictures. I have an area in my garden to grow food just for them. )
4. I am not sure if above two reasons promoted their growth right after that period. ( pretty significant. check log )
4. Diet: to make sure they eat all varieties of greens, I sandwich garden grass, flower, greens, and cut into small pieces salad style.
5. rep-cal tortoise food and mazuri twice a week.
6. chopped fruits like mango once every 1-2. weeks. ( check out attached video ) ^.^
7. soak twice a week. ( I decide to do this instead of daily because their poop is really green, soft and moist. Never show sign of constipation. I do observe they don't drink much water since I change their diet to home grown greens. ) Many occasions I see them pee in food tray. I am surprised how much pee came out from just eating the greens.
8. I mist their shells 4-5 times a day. ( no sign of pyramiding at all )

1.jpg 2.jpg IMG_0870.jpg IMG_0872.jpg IMG_0873.jpg IMG_0874.jpg

H2447INTX

5 Year Member
Angleton
What all do you have growing ?

Plan to do some planting this week.

They look great.

x-tank

What all do you have growing ?

Plan to do some planting this week.

They look great.
thanks.
I planted several different types of lettuce seeds you can probably get them in package from ebay or amazon. Free broadleaf weed like dandelions are their favorite. I usually randomly pick about 5-6 different leaves every day and plus grass as main diet and add flower pedals to attract appetite. They love honeysuckle flower pedals. ( flower all year round.)

x-tank

Just a quick update. I got this new enclosure from reptilekages.com. this week. They shipped 3 business days after I placed my order. Something I'd like to share if anyone needs the information. size 60x24x24. There is 160 W mercury all in one bulb left side that provides 95-100F at basking spot. The cool end is exo terra 200 UVB bulb ( no heat ) and that end temp is 75-80F. Humidity is 70-80%. The way I keep humidify high is in the morning I pour 1/2 cup of water right at basking spot, so through out the day the water evaporate and keep humidify in the enclosure very steady at near 80%. I still mist their shells often during the day. Before I turn off the light at night I spread warm water at the shells again and that will ensure moist stay until the next day morning. 53928421_2565198323510201_8336480750727593984_o.jpg

Last edited:

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Most of the forum people said the tortoises cannot be put together?
1) they are same species from same breeding facility
2) about bullying , if only 2 housed together, there gonna be a loser in the end . But if you keep more than 3 together, everyone will get same amount of aggression equally , thus no winner no loser .
If you ever keep aggressive fish like cichlids, you know what I’m talking about lol