My red eyed crocodile skinks

ManicTurt

Location (City and/or State)
Fairfield, CA
Hello everyone!
I wanted to share my red eyed crocodile skinks. I had been fascinated with these little dragons for years but had never seen one in person so I read everything I could get my hands on. 7 years later I had set up a enclosure and walked into a small pet store (the serpentarium, I love this place but I wish it was closer) and found them as a pair, both also captive bred. 20191216_114615.jpg20191216_114610.jpg
This is when I first brought them home. This is the male, Toothless. 15844582708192061428680234528950.jpgThey have 2 eggs now and I am hoping for a few more this year.15844591723512472595107703070038.jpg
I need to go find some leaf litter for them, but I see them using everything I have put in when I do see them out in the morning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What an interesting-looking little animal. I never knew of this creature.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
Great set up.

What do you feed them?
Thank you! They have Dubai roaches, red worms, crickets and mealworms. I tried other things but they if they even see me put it in they don't touch it. I put in isopods and springtails too just to clean up a little. Aside from pinhead crickets I'm not sure what to feed the babies when they hatch. I try to have variety but they will be so tiny!

Reactions: Tom

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Awesome looking Skink! Thanks for sharing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! They have Dubai roaches, red worms, crickets and mealworms. I tried other things but they if they even see me put it in they don't touch it. I put in isopods and springtails too just to clean up a little. Aside from pinhead crickets I'm not sure what to feed the babies when they hatch. I try to have variety but they will be so tiny!
I have a colony of red runners. They work better for most applications than dubia, and they breed faster too. The little ones are the same size as pinheads, and they move around a lot to attract the attention of out little predators.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
I have a colony of red runners. They work better for most applications than dubia, and they breed faster too. The little ones are the same size as pinheads, and they move around a lot to attract the attention of out little predators.
That's a great idea, thank you! I'm probably going to get some as soon as I can so I can start breeding those too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@ManicTurt

Time for an update and more photos! :D

When are those eggs due? I would love to see hatching and hatchling pics!

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
@ManicTurt

Time for an update and more photos! :D

When are those eggs due? I would love to see hatching and hatchling pics!

I have a week until one of the eggs could hatch, I am so excited for it! Thank you for asking, I will post some pictures as soon as the first one hatches. The second one still seems healthy and I turning a nice pink last time I candled it but it has about 2 months still.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
Well this is my first time hatching anything, but up until yesterday the egg looked wonderful. The humidity and temperature have remained constant and I had no problem for 2 months. When I checked yesterday though the egg was a little sunken in and seemed to have soft spots, and when I candled it nothing moved. I left it in the same spot just in case, but I am worried. I will leave it until there is no possible way something could be alive inside.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
Have have not worked with these lizards but I have seen other soft shell eggs dip a little just before hatching don’t give up for sure. I never through an egg away until it stinks. I’ve even had eggs with mold growing on them hatch healthy babies
Thank you, that does make me feel a little better. It doesn't smell and I dont notice anything else wrong. I will keep an eye on it, I wonder how long it could take.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
Well the egg started molding, getting brown spots and stinking. There was no movement for 2 weeks before this, and I dont know why it happened but there was no way it was alive anymore. It was healthy until it was about time to hatch. The 2nd egg looks wonderful still and is already developing at a much faster rate than the one that passed away. The temperature and humidity has not changed so I am trying to learn what it could have been.