My Red Foot/Story

eddie2013

Hello Everyone and thank you for allowing me to join the forum! I have a Red Footed Tortoise, approximately 7-9 years old. I have owned her for about 2 years now. Someone gave her to me as their kids were "tired" of taking care of her. While I knew NOTHING about tortoise care, I did my due diligence and learned quickly. When I got her she had pretty much zero substrate and was in maybe a 20 gallon tank. She was only fed the pellets from the pet store. Nothing fresh at all. Since I've had her, she has graduated to a much larger terrarium, outgrew that, gets fresh food, and I let her out almost daily. She has probably almost doubled in size since I have had her. Maybe not quite, but close. She started to flip herself about a year ago in her larger house. She does not "right" herself, so therefore I get very worried and drive home at lunch to check on her. She now lives in our spare room. I have turned her house sideways with the substrate for her to get into and out of, she has a heat lamp, UV lamp, heater, and humidifier. She seems to be content in the whole entire bedroom, however she has still flipped herself a few times here and there. Here is my concern: My family and I have a summer cabin and leave every weekend. Where as before she would be fine with food and water for a few days, I now worry she will be flipped when we get home on Sunday night. I have neighbors check on her but for an entire summer it is quite a lot to ask.We are also considering buying a smaller home soon and she won't be able to have the same space. I have thought about re-homing her but wouldn't do it unless I knew she would have enough room and the proper care. So...here I am, looking for ANY insight or thoughts about my situation. I know this is long, but thanks for reading and your comments are welcome! By the way, she is sassy as ever, loves to get out and cruise around and torment my dog as much as possible. She has a great personality.

eddie2013

Here are a few pictures of Pebbles. They aren't the most updated accept for the one of her trying to get out the window to play with the neighborhood kids :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Beautiful redfoot by the way :) be careful with your dog around your tortoise! Too many horrific and deadly situations have become of this. Many people believe their dogs would never bother the tortoise but it happens far too often! Can you post pics of your redfoots setup? There may be a reason why she's flipping over easily.

eddie2013

Thanks for the information. I will take some pictures of her set up and post them tonight once home.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome from another Redfoot keeper named ED!
Everything you need to know about keeping your Redfoot is right here. So are a few dozen experienced keepers that would jump at the chance to adopt her.
As you already know, the size you have needs a lot of room. Maybe a 6' square at a very minimum. He/she may be flipping trying to get out.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome from another Redfoot keeper named ED!
Everything you need to know about keeping your Redfoot is right here. So are a few dozen experienced keepers that would jump at the chance to adopt her.
As you already know, the size you have needs a lot of room. Maybe a 6' square at a very minimum. He/she may be flipping trying to get out.
See, there's one already!
Where are you located eddie2013?

eddie2013

Yes, there is a LOT of info. on here and very helpful! She rarely flips herself now that she is living in an entire bedroom :) but will still occasionally do it over near where her hiding spot is. Although she mostly likes to hide under the bed.As I said, I have a humidifier and an extra heater in there to help regulate the temperature she needs. I let her out of the room daily, outside in the backyard if the weather permits, or she cruises the downstairs for a while. Lots of soaks. I do believe she was flipping due to the size she was in previous to me moving her to the room. That is where the re-homing is an issue if I decided to go that route. I don't want her going somewhere that she will be put in a small enclosure as she would not be too happy I am guessing.

eddie2013

Yes I let her out, I make sure it is nice and sunny when I do. I sit with her outside as she is a lot quicker to get into hiding spots than most think! I was told she needs the vitamin D and UV from the sun. Not sure the name brand of the humidifier, but it is from Wal-Mart. Being I have to humidify an entire room, it is somewhat larger. The heater is also from Wal-Mart. Just a small one you plug in to the wall. I have everything up off the ground so she can't get into anything. she is quite curious

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I am located in Northern Nevada, US
What Nevada england. Lol. Seriously though. You have a tough decission to make. I think you need to search for a new home. Not fare not letting her out when you go away. I know you said someone would care for her. But she needs to be out when its warm enough. Its a big ask for someone else to watch over her whilst shes outside. Would your nabours be willing to adopt if you made them a home for her in there garden/yard. Wish I could help you. But I'm miles away.

eddie2013

Their little kids love her! which also makes me nervous. They do fine while watching her for the weekend, but they would not be well suited in my opinion to keep her as a forever home. I would like someone with knowledge of her (more than what I have even). Nevada gets cold at night, even in the summer, so would not be an option for her to live outside. I am hoping someone on here will be nearby enough that can give her that wonderful home she needs. Until then, she has a great home with us, I just feel it would be in her best interest to be where it is warmer, and a larger place. Possibly with other tortoises.

eddie2013

The heat temps are where they need to be at all times however the humidity is tough to keep where it needs to be. I do also make sure she has shade while outside. Thanks to everyone for all of this info. and please, if you know of anyone in the near vicinity, let me know!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Their little kids love her! which also makes me nervous. They do fine while watching her for the weekend, but they would not be well suited in my opinion to keep her as a forever home. I would like someone with knowledge of her (more than what I have even). Nevada gets cold at night, even in the summer, so would not be an option for her to live outside. I am hoping someone on here will be nearby enough that can give her that wonderful home she needs. Until then, she has a great home with us, I just feel it would be in her best interest to be where it is warmer, and a larger place. Possibly with other tortoises.
Hope someone comes along to help you soon.