My Red Foot tortoise enclosures

Location (City and/or State)
Stamford, CT, USA
This is Plato's RF Tortoise enclosure. It is 50 inches long and 24 inches wide. The substrate is cypress mulch, fine coconut coir, and a little bit of sand. He has two hides, a basking spot, a walk in water and food dish, and some rocks. I'm still working on the arrangement and am also going to get some plants. He has a UV bulb and a heat lamp. I am still figuring out his diet so I would like some suggestions. In the mean time I am giving him sliced cucumber, apple, and lettuce. Thanks for all the help!

PS Plato is a hatchling and was only put in this enclosure yesterday. He has been burying himself and sleeping like that all day yesterday and all morning today. Please let me know if that is normal.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500646905.323415.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500646926.388016.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500646943.792685.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You may have an issue with a few things:
First of all is the enclosure. You will encounter difficulties with an open topped enclosure in keeping it warm 80-86degrees and humidity up over 70%.
Second is that ramped water bowl. It is too tall. You will be much better off with a simple terra cotta saucer.
Next could be your type of UV bulb.
Most Redfoot keepers use a strip florescent with a MVB bulb to ad a little heat. If that is a coiled, compact bulb, you may or may not have eye issues with your tortoise. These issues can get serious.

Stamford, CT, USA
Thanks for the reply. Where could I get a top for the cage? Or could I build one? And is the strip light necessary? Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this.

AmberD

Ontario
What if you got a piece of plexiglass to put on top? That way you can still watch your tortoise but it's covered? I also agree with the water bowl. Wouldn't want him to flip over!
As for diet, there is so much! Collard greens, spring mix, clover, dandelion greens, papaya, kiwi, squash, zucchini, hibiscus leaves/flowers, as well as the dandelion flowers, strawberries, mulberry leaves. You can search The Tortoise Table for more weeds/plants that are acceptable. :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What if you got a piece of plexiglass to put on top? That way you can still watch your tortoise but it's covered?

A less expensive option might be to cover it mostly with wood and put a window in it for viewing. I know we have a lot of rehab stores around here that have old aluminum framed windows for like $10.

Stamford, CT, USA
A less expensive option might be to cover it mostly with wood and put a window in it for viewing. I know we have a lot of rehab stores around here that have old aluminum framed windows for like $10.

I could do that but how would I get him in and out of there. Maybe I could only cover it halfway, or make some sort of sliding door?

Stamford, CT, USA
What if you got a piece of plexiglass to put on top? That way you can still watch your tortoise but it's covered? I also agree with the water bowl. Wouldn't want him to flip over!
As for diet, there is so much! Collard greens, spring mix, clover, dandelion greens, papaya, kiwi, squash, zucchini, hibiscus leaves/flowers, as well as the dandelion flowers, strawberries, mulberry leaves. You can search The Tortoise Table for more weeds/plants that are acceptable. :)

Thanks I will try to find some of these:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is one of my "closed chamber" set ups.
It has some hinges, plexiglass and a light mounted to the inside

Attachments

• 20170703_040521.jpg
    20170703_040521.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
In my closed chamber, just the tiny amount of heat generated by the florescent lighting ballast (the light is mounted inside the lid with screws)is enough to keep the temps in the lower 80s and that lid keeps up the humidity up and over 75 percent.
The substrate is Orchid bark with potting soil on top.
By pouring in a cup of water into the corners once a week. The bark absorbs the water, giving off humidity but keeps the top layer pretty dry.
I've even hatched eggs in this thing.

Stamford, CT, USA
Are there any other materials that I could use to seal off the top? I could cover it halfway with an extra piece of wood, but I don't think that would work very well. Is plexi-glass the only material?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No. people have used tin foil, plastic sheets, etc.
But I just showed what works for me.
Obviously you don't want anything that will melt or catch fire near a hot lamp etc.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I built a 7x2 wooden box and cover it with clear shower curtains. Cost 5 bucks, keeps temps at 85, humidity between 73 and 85.