My red footed tortoise Stan.lee loves his protein

Kevinrrussell

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Guys and Gals,
Stan.lee will eat animal protein over everything. Today is she at, zoo med forest mix, likes. Mangoes like, grapes collard greens, bananas, lettuce(red love), but if I put out salmon or chunking chicken dog food(canned) he ignores veggies....Saturday is protein day and he ate his shell worth but ignored almost everything collard greens..Today ate his fill of zoo med. My question is that normal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure what you are asking is normal. Not eating greens while eating the fruit and protein is pretty normal. If you put candy and veggies in front of a kid, they likely will always go for the candy.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Yes! They have food preffereances just like we do. I have 2 RFs, one would eat only fruit if I let her. She also LOVE mushrooms. But the other one would kill for cooked/steamed shrimp, or scraped into a paste nice fresh steak... don’t do catfood very often. I cook, so there is often often fresh fish and meat they can sample[emoji6] also, I don’t remember for sure but seems like I had read somewhere that grapes were not too good for them. Maybe it was due to high sugar content?... don’t remember. But I’m not worried about it, there is such a huge variety of fruit from southern hemisphere that omitting few does not limit their menu options

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
Yes! They have food preffereances just like we do. I have 2 RFs, one would eat only fruit if I let her. She also LOVE mushrooms. But the other one would kill for cooked/steamed shrimp, or scraped into a paste nice fresh steak... don’t do catfood very often. I cook, so there is often often fresh fish and meat they can sample[emoji6] also, I don’t remember for sure but seems like I had read somewhere that grapes were not too good for them. Maybe it was due to high sugar content?... don’t remember. But I’m not worried about it, there is such a huge variety of fruit from southern hemisphere that omitting few does not limit their menu options
Thank you. Mangoes, apples. I only do grapes as a monthly treat, because we eat grapes quicker then I can save them.lol. I'll try shrimp, also heard Mazuri croc diet is used on protein day. Today I did yellow squash, dandelion, red lettuce, black lettuce and mangoes..yesterday Stan.lee ate a ton of Zoomed Forest mix...