My Red Footed Tortoise won't eat anything but dog food!

MoMilligan

I've had Ruby (my red-footed) for 6 months now. Sometimes I let her out of her cage to explore, well she found the dog food once, and now that's all she will eat! I've gotten her to eat some baby food butternut squash is her favorite! But I'm worried about her not getting enough nutrition. I do offer her fresh greens but she doesn't touch them. What should I do?

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
What kinds of greens do you offer? Have you tried mazuri? It looks kinda like dog food but it's for tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tough love WILL work.
Stop feeding the dog food and only offer the correct food.
The tortoise won't starve. He'll give in.
Start by smearing dog food on some Kale,etc. (Then less and less dog food.)
Think of it like a child that LOVES chocolate bars and won't eat anything else.
Let him get hungry....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tough love WILL work.
Let him get hungry....
What he said.

Your tort won't come to any harm going without food for a few days if he's real stubborn. Just soak him thoroughly daily while he's holding out so he stays hydrated.

MoMilligan

Tough love WILL work.
Let him get hungry....

Thank you I'll try that.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Zero is right, they're like little kids and your's is currently trying the "Little Debbie" diet. Cut him/her off and he/she will start eating better foods.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Mine is an adolescent male and he STILL pulls antics like this. He didn't eat for TWO WEEKS because he would refuse to eat after taking the first bite and realizing I put mustard greens in there. He always eats if I handfeed so I handfed cactus those 2 weeks because he would not trust me to feed him anything without mustard greens otherwise. He has just now finally stopped being suspicious of me and is back to eating normally. Two weeks. Stubborn animals.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Sometimes these tortoises can get an attitude when it comes to diets and changing them for the better, but I don't blame them I don't like people messing with my food either. Hopefully this battle doesn't last long so your tortoise can get a good varied diet.

MoMilligan

Sometimes these tortoises can get an attitude when it comes to diets and changing them for the better, but I don't blame them I don't like people messing with my food either. Hopefully this battle doesn't last long so your tortoise can get a good varied diet.
Mine is an adolescent male and he STILL pulls antics like this. He didn't eat for TWO WEEKS because he would refuse to eat after taking the first bite and realizing I put mustard greens in there. He always eats if I handfeed so I handfed cactus those 2 weeks because he would not trust me to feed him anything without mustard greens otherwise. He has just now finally stopped being suspicious of me and is back to eating normally. Two weeks. Stubborn animals.

What spoiled children they are lol.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Zero is right, they're like little kids and your's is currently trying the "Little Debbie" diet. Cut him/her off and he/she will start eating better foods.

Attachments

• 14430534136161.jpg
    14430534136161.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 13