My Red-foots stopped eating Dandelion flower

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
They've always like to eat Dandelion flowers, but they won't eat it now.
They would eat greens, carrots, fruits, chicken meat but not dandelion flower!!

Does anyone know why?~

No one wants to eat them now :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LindaF

5 Year Member
Mine won't eat the flowers now either. He will still eat the stems & greens, but not flowers. I thought it might have something to do with it being winter. It is strange.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hmmm just a guess, could it be that they are closed up? Maybe they like to see the yellow petals. When was the last time they had them? Try taking them out of the rotation for a few days and see if that works. Just a thought.....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Welcome to the world of picky eaters! Maybe the moisture content dropped and they taste bad now, maybe they just want something else, maybe they feel a need for something with different nutrients. We may never know.

Switch to something else and try the dandelions again in a week.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Dallas, TX
onarock said:
Who knows, my 9yo son quit eating carrots.

You Make me laugh so long~ !!

Torty Mom said:
Hmmm just a guess, could it be that they are closed up? Maybe they like to see the yellow petals. When was the last time they had them? Try taking them out of the rotation for a few days and see if that works. Just a thought.....

I feed them when those flowers were wide open, but they act like it smells like nothing and then go away
Not just one red-foot did that,all my red-foot won't eat it now.
So I just leave those flowers there and then they closed.

Madkins007 said:
Welcome to the world of picky eaters! Maybe the moisture content dropped and they taste bad now, maybe they just want something else, maybe they feel a need for something with different nutrients. We may never know.

I didn't feed dandelion for 3 weeks so that day I went to get some flowers for them and they won't eat it, so I am very surprise.

Madkins007 said:

When I take the flower to them they would smell it, but they act like the flower smells bad or smells like nothing, and then go away. I guess the flowers change in winter? Because I feed them when the flowers was fresh and wide open.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have something to do with the time of year. Some plants chemical make-up changes when it gets cold or frosty.

Status
Not open for further replies.