My Redfoot Darwin

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20210720_154818916.jpg

My Redfoot Tortoise, Darwin, is enjoying a nice warm day outside.

PXL_20210720_154847548.jpg

She'll be three years old in a couple of days, and was nearly 3kg as of this morning when I weighed her on her way outside to her enclosure.

PXL_20210720_154814660.jpg

She's a lovely and sweet tortoise; always interested in what I'm doing in my office (where she lives).

PXL_20210720_154847548.jpg

Whenever she goes in her outside enclosure, she explores every inch, patrols the perimeter, eats a big meal, then takes a nap until it's time for me to take her back inside.

PXL_20210720_154519729.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20220130_144430918~2.jpg

Darwin enjoying Sunday brunch of berries, butternut squash, opuntia cactus, and two types of Mazuri (regular tortoise kibble and crocodilian kibble).

She's a bit dirty from tunneling through the substrate in her enclosure, hunting down worms and pillbugs.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20220211_152116547.jpg
Soaking, measurements, and health-check for Darwin and Aretha... today with a redesigned check-sheet.
I decided to do the Russians on a separate check-sheet because they're basically grown, whereas these two are growing like weeds.
I try to do the health-check every month and the tBMI every 3-4 months.
My use of the Donohue ratio indicates that they're both somewhat underweight for their scute length, but I'm not really worried about it... I mainly use the tBMI measure to track/compare their "density" over time.
#tortnerdery
PXL_20220211_152331308_2.jpg

PXL_20220211_154351764_2.jpg

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
View attachment 253781

It's a weirdly hot and humid October day here in New Hampshire, so I decided to try out Darwin's outdoors enclosure, possibly for the only time before autumn really comes.

The second I put him down he started grazing his way around the inside of the enclosure.

Jamie
Your redfoot is a beauty! And what a nice outdoor pen. Just watch out for those birds!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Your redfoot is a beauty! And what a nice outdoor pen. Just watch out for those birds!
She's about a foot long and weighs 8.25 pounds... it'd take a beefy eagle to pick her up I would think, but I do keep an eye on all of the torts whenever they're outside.

Jamie

dmills4229

CRYSTAL CITY
If I missed it I apologize. Great job chronicling Darwin. You are obviously providing great indoor an outdoor care for her. Could you show or describe the indoor enclosure? My Frankie is still small enough for a 4x2 but I know the day is coming when she will need something a lot larger indoors.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If I missed it I apologize. Great job chronicling Darwin. You are obviously providing great indoor an outdoor care for her. Could you show or describe the indoor enclosure? My Frankie is still small enough for a 4x2 but I know the day is coming when she will need something a lot larger indoors.
IMG_20200706_152037.jpg

I found a bowfront plexiglass aquarium that's 8x2 feet, with the middle opening up to 3 feet.

She loves it but is going to need a bigger space soon, so I'm starting to look/think....

Jamie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I just received my signed copy of the new book. It's really good and Lyns enjoyed it too. The illustrations are really nice. I can't wait to get the next book in the "creep" series. I am still waiting for another dog book, I truly enjoyed the book dog is my co-pilot.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I just received my signed copy of the new book. It's really good and Lyns enjoyed it too. The illustrations are really nice. I can't wait to get the next book in the "creep" series. I am still waiting for another dog book, I truly enjoyed the book dog is my co-pilot.
Thanks so much for kind words and support!

Jamie

Reactions: Ink