my redfoot eating habits changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
El Paso, TX
I just moved my tourtoise indoors for the winter and ever since then he has not walked around and hasn't eatin anything. Does anyone have any advice?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mikey Meyer:

Welcome to the forum!!

Its more than likely he's not warm enough. Even though you have brought him into the house because its too cold outside, you still have to have him in his own little habitat. And it should mimic how he was kept outside. Nice and warm, at least 80 degrees with plenty of hiding places and maybe a few plants, and a place where he can go into the water.

Tell us how his indoor set-up is, then we can give you better info.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
Well it's a 6'x6' square made of cynder block and it has pete moss and bark inside. I also made him a little house. He also has a reptile heater and a light that is supposed to mimik the sun. And have been puting his water just in a little bowl. I have been throwing him collard greens. So what should I do?

Stev0623

5 Year Member
mikey meyer said:
Well it's a 6'x6' square made of cynder block and it has pete moss and bark inside. I also made him a little house. He also has a reptile heater and a light that is supposed to mimik the sun. And have been puting his water just in a little bowl. I have been throwing him collard greens. So what should I do?

Before you moved him, was he eating only collard greens? You may want to try and "lure" him to eat by giving him some kind of juicy fruit (maybe, strawberries?) and then pull the old switcheroo.

It may sound kind of odd, but I really think theres a so called "switch" in the torts mind that goes on and off to eat. I've done that trick with my torts many times.

Are we sure he, is in fact a he? How big is he? Sometimes females act very different when they are about to lay eggs (They can lay eggs without a male, just not fertile).

What are the temps inside the cynder block enclosure? It could be as simple as not being warm enough.

I'm by no means an "expert" and I'm sure I missed something. Someone will come along soon and get what I missed.

Please keep us updated,

Steve

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
Well he was mostly being fed collard greens. But every now and then I would throw a tomato out there for him. Now in the summer I keep him in a big ring around my tree in my backyard which also has about 12 box turtles in there also. Now I feed the box turtles soft dog food so I just throw it in the ring and my redfoot eats it also. I don't know if that is good for him or not.
And I am not sure if it is a male or female. I just call it a he because my dad named it Big Daddy.
Now I think he is about a foot long. He really isn't that big. So should I keep the dog food away from Big Daddy, and what should I do different?

How can I tell if my redfoot is a male or female?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
emysemys said:
Hi Mikey Meyer:

Welcome to the forum!!

Its more than likely he's not warm enough. Even though you have brought him into the house because its too cold outside, you still have to have him in his own little habitat. And it should mimic how he was kept outside. Nice and warm, at least 80 degrees with plenty of hiding places and maybe a few plants, and a place where he can go into the water.

Tell us how his indoor set-up is, then we can give you better info.
Do you mean plants for him to eat or for him to hide in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both, however artificial plants for hiding would be just fine.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
emysemys said:
O okay I will do that. And do you think it's bad for my tort to eat soft dog food?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
mikey meyer said:
emysemys said:
O okay I will do that. And do you think it's bad for my tort to eat soft dog food?
There are a lot of better choices for feeding him.Turtletary.com has an excellant diet on it.I have followed it with very good results. Not to be judgemental,but some changes need to be made regarding diet.Tempratures should be in the mid 80's with lots of humidity.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
jackrat said:
mikey meyer said:
emysemys said:
There are a lot of better choices for feeding him.Turtletary.com has an excellant diet on it.I have followed it with very good results. Not to be judgemental,but some changes need to be made regarding diet.Tempratures should be in the mid 80's with lots of humidity.
Yea, I have a humidity meter in the room where my tort is and it says that the humidity in there is at tropical which is where it should be. But for some reason it doesn't feel that humid in there.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
looks like you have got alot of advice mikey, hope it was helpful, czarnecki

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
tczar said:
looks like you have got alot of advice mikey, hope it was helpful, czarnecki
It is alot of advice! I'm so happy people are helping me because now I don't feel as worried about him!

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
I increased the temp. in the room where my redfoot is and he seems to be doing much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.