my redfoot has been in water dish for 3 days he has been sleeping in it even is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrow

5 Year Member
have had him for about a year he is around 2 he was living outside untill it got cool now he is inside and has been for about a month and the last 2 or 3 days has been in his dish for almost whole day comes out in am to eat then gets back in i take him out once a day to give fresh warm water then he goes back in is this ok should i be concerned he has a tank mate also redfoot about same age had to but another water dish in because the other one is always in it

LindaF

5 Year Member
Perhaps your temps are too high and humidity is too low?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Try giving him lots of warm water soaks,(just under the chin level) maybe he needs to re-hydrate?
Do you provide humidity for them?
they do enjoy sitting in water but for that period of time, I wouldn't say that is normal.( somewhat based on my Red foots and what I read too)
It may not be good for the shell to be submerged all day either.
I'm sure others will comment very soon

M

Maggie Cummings

*Generally* speaking box turtles and some tortoises will stay in the water like that when they are sick. Not saying your guy is sick...but not saying he's not either. Is he eating good? I have a box turtle that is doing the same thing right now, and I am concerned about him. But he eats good and sleeps good he's just in the water too much. I think I don't have enough humidity in his habitat...Could yours be a humidity problem?

sparrow

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
*Generally* speaking box turtles and some tortoises will stay in the water like that when they are sick. Not saying your guy is sick...but not saying he's not either. Is he eating good? I have a box turtle that is doing the same thing right now, and I am concerned about him. But he eats good and sleeps good he's just in the water too much. I think I don't have enough humidity in his habitat...Could yours be a humidity problem?

he is eating great just hanging in water the other one only goes in every once in a while there in the same cage we just put another dish in for that one but it could be a humidity thing they did come from outside so definately not as humid in here (s.fl)

sparrow

5 Year Member
LindaF said:
Perhaps your temps are too high and humidity is too low?

temps definately not too high but humidity possibly too low they are used to outside and its very humid here in s fl

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sparrow:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Sometimes if a turtle/tortoise has an abundance of parasites, they will sit in the water a lot. Has your tortoise ever been de-wormed? You can take a fecal sample to the vet and have it checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.