my redfoot measurements and weight :)

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, California
So my redfoot tortoise is about 5 months old. Here are his specs:

So I weighed my little guy today and I measured him. Using a cloth measuring tape (which I know isn't the right way) but his shell measured exactly 3 1/2 inches. And I weighed him and he weighed 71 grams/ 2.5 ounces.

Does that sound right? He eats very well. Just checking! Also how often should I weigh him? Once a week? Once a month?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Christina - i weigh and record my Sully weekly. I see a nice steady weight gain, so I know that he must be satisfied and not stressed out. There are no rules - do what works best for you and your tort.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I weigh my reds once a month and on birthdays. I've found that weight fluctuates too much on a week by week basis and it drives me nuts (I'm sure my reds don't like being manhandled all the time, either :p).

2.5 ounces seems to be on track. How are you measuring the shell? Straight or curved with that cloth tape? Oh and where are the pics? :p

And thanks @Maro2Bear i guess it doesn't matter how i measure him as long as I do it the same every time right? thanks guys :) Owning a tortoise is a lot more fun than i thought it would be! I bought him for my daughter, and she could care less about him lol. And I say him because of his very large and in charge claws!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
And thanks @Maro2Bear i guess it doesn't matter how i measure him as long as I do it the same every time right? thanks guys :) Owning a tortoise is a lot more fun than i thought it would be! I bought him for my daughter, and she could care less about him lol. And I say him because of his very large and in charge claws!

You know, @N2TORTS actually says that females have the bigger claws in order to dig their nests :p

Very cute guy!

Ok my big guy is now 3.2452 ounces or 92 grams. I also for the first time EVER saw him on top of one of his tank decorations! He rarely unburrows unless he's hungry :) YAY! Anyways, just wanted to share the good news :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My baby RF is almost identical in size and weight. I only started weighing mine a few months ago and yes, it fluctuates wildly day to day. Especially in the larger torts.