My Redfoot stopped eating months ago.

Tj_Mable

Location (City and/or State)
United States
after swallowing a rock and being left outside in the cold. Accidently, of course. I have had him to a special vet??
The rock has not moved but there is not inflamation around it. A poop transfer has been done to get him pooping again, surprise it worked. Now however, he will not eat. We have been feeding him with a syringe and I am afraid that this will be permanant. Yikes!!! Poor guy lives in Michigan so he doesn't get much outdoor time. Ineed some advice.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We need more information. Where is the rock that he swallowed???

Tj_Mable

United States
after swallowing a rock and being left outside in the cold. Accidently, of course. I have had him to a special vet??
The rock has not moved but there is not inflamation around it. A poop transfer has been done to get him pooping again, surprise it worked. Now however, he will not eat. We have been feeding him with a syringe and I am afraid that this will be permanant. Yikes!!! Poor guy lives in Michigan so he doesn't get much outdoor time. I need some advice.[/QUOTE]
We need more information. Where is the rock that he swallowed???
The rock is located somewhere along his digestive track. It is not causing a blockage.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If he is not eating by himself and may not ever again, then it might be the right thing for him and for you to have him humanely euthanized by the vet rather than be going through all this to no good end. Just saying, from what you have said. All the best.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So. Not being able to pass the rock is the diagnosis why he won't eat?
What exactly did the vet say and what is the plan of action?
Many of my Redfoot have eaten many rocks. All of them got passed. And they usually eat them because of some mineral deficiency. In my case, for not having cuttlebone handy.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Is his poop normal/well-digested? Does he poop regularly? Is he active?

If he is being syringe-fed every day and NOT very underweight you can try not syringe feeding him and just leaving food out that he used to enjoy and is softer/easier to eat.

Sometimes they get used to being fed (either hand fed or syringe fed) and won’t eat by themselves until they are very hungry.

However if he is very sick, not moving, and unable to eat on his own then the situation is very serious. Any time an animal is unable to eat or poop by themselves and all treatment plans have been exhausted I would consider euthanasia.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
There must be another factor at play here. Have there been any signs of a possible respitory infection?