My rental home came with a tortoise!

jeanettelb

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
We moved into a rental home and were surprised to find that it came with a little tortoise (Russian i think) in the backyard. He (she?) hibernated from November till recently, but now I'd really like to start learning what I can about what I need to feed him, what food he can get in the backyard and how to create a proper shelter for him in the heat (we live in Phoenix). Obviously, the little guy has been doing okay without help, but I want to make sure he's getting what he needs.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HI and welcome,
That's a nice 'welcome to you new home' gift.:)
There's lots of help and good up to date advice here which will not only help your tort survive but thrive.
Have a look at the Enclosures thread for some great ideas, and the caresheets will help you get diet, temps substrate etc right.
Ask as many questions as you need there's always someone somewhere in the world around to help.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will help you ID safe or toxic plants.
Also If you have a dog the don't trust him near the tort as even normally quiet,family dogs can be spooked by them or think they are chew toys
Good luck with your new roomie:)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
IMG_2976.jpg
I to live in Phx :32st and Bell rd .
I would start with a soak . He probably dry after a winter in the ground .

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
We moved into a rental home and were surprised to find that it came with a little tortoise (Russian i think) in the backyard. He (she?) hibernated from November till recently, but now I'd really like to start learning what I can about what I need to feed him, what food he can get in the backyard and how to create a proper shelter for him in the heat (we live in Phoenix). Obviously, the little guy has been doing okay without help, but I want to make sure he's getting what he needs.

What a wonderful bonus house-warming gift! I would love to find a tortoise in my backyard.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I would start by offering up a pic here....I would bet that there is a good chance you may have a Sonoran Desert Tortoise.....more than a Russian....now, of course there is no way to know without a peek see :)