My reptilian child Sunshine

arami25

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
I posted many months ago about Sunshine and I kind of got scared away posting anything else due to being judged as a bad tortoise parent. But, nevertheless, I improved my baby's conditions and she is looking brighter than ever.
Got her appropriate UV lights and heat lamps, larger walking space, some decor to hide under (it's super cute and makes me take photos of her) and I added Mazuri to her diet because she's a very picky eater. Now her appetite has increased! She eats her greens! She poops a lot lol (but nice solid ones). One thing I'm still working on is getting her to not be afraid of me and poop 30 seconds after petting her (she knows I put her back in her home when she poops cuz I gotta clean her up). I want to rub her little shell or pet her head like you see on YouTube or Instagram where the turtle or tortoise move their bodies to get a good shell rub. Any thoughts? Maybe more time is needed to gain her trust? I've had her since October 2018.
Here are some photos. (in the first one she had just finished eating)IMG-1641.JPG 58336007097--95756730-FFD1-4F61-9BDE-886A41282ACD.JPG

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well done you and keep up the good work. The only way to become a better tortoise parent is to take the rough and fix things right.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome again,sorry for your pervious experience. The members here just want what's best for Sunshine. Also the best for you so you don't end up with a sick or worse tort.
Hope you stay this time so we can get to know you and Sunshine.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome back! Sunshine is a cutie! Perhaps start by rubbing Sunshine's shell frequently throughout the day....and try to move your hands slowly when you put them in front of her/him so it doesn't startle her. My two sulcata babies love habing their tummies rubbed, and will stretch their legs and necks out for more attention when I do that, so maybe try that as well. With time, I am sure she will grow to love the attention! Good luck to you!

arami25

Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the support! I will make sure to update on her well being more often :) she was dewormed back in November and should be parasite free as she doesn’t go outside often and is supervised when walking outside. She’ll be going for her yearly checkup in November 2019. Beak isn’t overgrown, I just trimmed her nails too. Hibernation is going to happen in the future as I don’t have the resources for that just yet (I’m a college student), but that’ll be happening for sure. Excited to grow old with her :’)