My rescue aka "Newbie"

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Found this little lady on Craigslist :(. Her first night home

Over the next few weeks, her beak broke off and her skin sloughed off in thick, leathery pieces.

Here she is today, alert, Feisty and mean as hell! Lol, gotta love her spirit

It's amazing how you go from one tortoise to seven so quickly! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! That flaking skin would have made me very worried. But at least it wasn't raw and red underneath.

Ya done good, kiddo!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne :). I've had her for over a year. I got a lot of advice from GB and Tom, actually pm'd you with a few questions ;) I just soaked her often and let the skin shed, it took about a month to two months for it all to slowly come off, she looked like she was wearing boots! Nice, new skin underneath.

When I first got her she was almost unresponsive :(, You could touch her leg and she wouldn't move, actually having to wiggle it to get her to respond. Now when your hand goes in her enclosure, watch out, she will run right over and butt you! She eats like a pig and has put on over 150 grams, now outweighing Brains. Outside has treated her well, as Tom likes to say, tortoises are solar powered ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, when did you sneak those others in :D How is that Brains doing anyway. Miss hearing about him. Glad this little one responded so well for you.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW She is very lucky to have you as her new owner. Love to read the happy story/update.

Laurie

5 Year Member
The most outstanding thing that I notice is her eyes. In the first picture, they are sunken in, the left one wouldn't even open, I cleaned it daily with a q-tip. The picture I share tonight, her eyes are bright, shiny and convex. Her first night home they were pasty, sunken and concave. She has come a long way!

Teacup

Georgia
What a transformation! You did an excellent job rehabbing her. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the original pics she likes like one of those sad cases that are just waiting for the mercy of death. What an unbelievable turnaround. She looks to be thriving and actually going about the business of LIVING now. What a triumph for the good guys!

Thank you Laurie.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Hydration, proper nutrition and plenty of sunlight Tom, it's not rocket science, these guys have survived without our help for a LONG time. How fascinating they are!