MY RUSSIAN ATE IVY AND BUTTERCUP HELP URGENT!!!

FecesMcGee123

Location (City and/or State)
Redmond
Today I was walking my tortoises in their outdoor enclosure when one of them ate something toxic. He ingested about an inch of young English Ivy leaf and half an inch of Creeping Buttercup stem. Pls help, I don’t know what to do.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

FecesMcGee123

Redmond
if they arent showing any signs of poisoning you should be OK. chances are they didnt eat enough to have an effect.

So if he doesn’t show any signs whatsoever after a day he’s fine? Also, could he have been self-medicating? I was planning on taking him to the vet anyway, and was wondering if he had parasites.

Happytort27

CA
Maybe try soaking him in warm water everyday. Hopefully it’ll pass? Sorry, I don’t really know what to do in this situation...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For about 3 years my Redfoot group ate poisonous Easter Lillies that popped up every year from some bulbs planted by the former owners of my house.
I must've dug up 200 of them!
No tortoises ever got sick.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s important to remember that the Tortoise Table is extremely conservative and a great deal of what they use is based on impact on mammals, not reptiles; there just aren’t a great deal of reptile food studies. Buttercups are a completely normal food in the Russian’s native diet; they eat a ton certain times of year. Plenty of our members let their tortoises feed on them; I’ve tried but my Russian ate them down to the ground overnight so it wasn’t worth the effort.

Ivy I’d probably get rid of, mostly because I don’t like it! Big ivies also make good cover for rats.

That said, the only food issue I’ve ever seen directly reported here by a user was a sulcata getting into some tulip bulbs. He got a bad rash around his mouth but was otherwise okay. You see the occasional mention of a toxic food but they are very rare. Bad diet from the grocery store or bad advice cause a lot more problems.