My Russian just wants to stay buried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mommy22boys

5 Year Member
Why? His temps are good 85-90 warm side and 70-75 cool side. Night drops to 65-70 on warm side. The last couple days he's been digging pretty deep to where he's almost completely covered and on the warm side but he's also done it on the cool side. When I bring him out of his enclosure he is active moving around and exploring but after a few min he tries to bury himself again.

I got him on Monday. He hasn't eaten or drank yet. I've been soaking him so he gets some fluids. He peed yesterday in his soak and pooped two days before also in his soak. He peed the first two days we had him also.

I have tried collard greens, leafy greens, orange bell pepper, apple, carrots, tomatoes, tomato flowers, dandelion flower and leaves and sedum. Oh and the pellets that the store suggested. The first couple days if I put him by the food he would look at it smell it and sometimes push it around but never eat any.

Any other suggestions? When should I worry? I know they can go along time without eating.

I've been told he's a he. My son named him epic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1380502181145.jpg
    1380502181145.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 54

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Russian tortoise dig, a lot. That is normal behavior. And he's most likely still settling in. Just have to give him time, I've read that some tortoises have taken several months to settle in. Continue to do luke warm soaks every day and continue to feed him. Try to stay away from tomatoes and apples, they are more of a treat, and should only be fed once a month if at all.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well to start with warm bath put some baby food in it maybe carrots
As far as digging in remember in the wild what don't hide gets eaten he will learn you are the " food god "

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sounds like he is getting ready to sleep for winter... if you don't ant him too you need to up the temps and extend the light time.. simulate Summer.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Do you have a basking spot? You mentioned a warm end, but no basking spot.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
Give him some time he will eat just keep trying the greens they love romain lettuce. Russian tortoises dig all the time.

Mommy22boys

5 Year Member
He finally ate today! Not much though. I got impatient cause he kept showing interest in the food but wasn't eating it. So I started dropping greens in the dirt in front of him and he ate it. So apparently he didn't like his food dish. I switched out his food and water dishes to terra cotta saucers. He's soaking in his water now too. I feel so much better now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.