My Russian runs into the tank. How Can I stop it

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco

Seahawks12

Salem
How big is your tort and how big is the tank? It could be too hot, or just trying to tell you it needs a bigger enclosure. Tanks tend to be way too small for anything other than hatchling torts, especially for such an active species like Russians.

Attachments

• 1503516367383.jpg
    1503516367383.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 14

Seahawks12

Salem
How big is your tort and how big is the tank? It could be too hot, or just trying to tell you it needs a bigger enclosure. Tanks tend to be way too small for anything other than hatchling torts, especially for such an active species like Russians.

Attachments

• 1503516435268.jpg
    1503516435268.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 12

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This is possibly why it is not happy in its tank.
If you give a tortoise a run of the house or floor, it isn't satisfied with the space restrictions of its enclosure as it is aware there is more to the world.
The floor is also a hazard as temps are hard to monitor and regulate, there can be draughts and a dust bunny or other tiny object could be consumed and cause impaction.

Seahawks12

Salem
This is possibly why it is not happy in its tank.
If you give a tortoise a run of the house or floor, it isn't satisfied with the space restrictions of its enclosure as it is aware there is more to the world.
The floor is also a hazard as temps are hard to monitor and regulate, there can be draughts and a dust bunny or other tiny object could be consumed and cause impaction.
Oh okay it make sense I usually let him walk around the house I cant let him go outside because I'm in a apartment with no space almost no grass and the one that has grass dogs pee on it :(

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Oh okay it make sense I usually let him walk around the house I cant let him go outside because I'm in a apartment with no space almost no grass and the one that has grass dogs pee on it :(
So we make the best of what we have.
That tank is quite high, there may be the option of adding to one end a second level with a ramp up and rails to prevent falling.
What UVB are you using and is it outside or inside the tank ? Sorry I can't make it out in the photo.

Seahawks12

Salem
So we make the best of what we have.
That tank is quite high, there may be the option of adding to one end a second level with a ramp up and rails to prevent falling.
What UVB are you using and is it outside or inside the tank ? Sorry I can't make it out in the photo.
Its outside of the tank but I dont know what kind the uv is because my grandma got it for me so yeah. Also Do you mean like a second story?

Seahawks12

Salem
How about putting some plants in there? I raised mine in 40 gal breeder, which I had heavily planted with live plants, had couple hides, made some hills and caves in the substrate and never had the "running-into the glass" issue
What kind if plants do you reccomed and also should I change the bedding it is some pellets and wood chips my dad says it is fine for him but I dont know though

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Its outside of the tank but I dont know what kind the uv is because my grandma got it for me so yeah. Also Do you mean like a second story?
Yes, a second story.
The UVB light your tortoise needs will not penetrate the glass. It has to be fitted inside the tank. Is it a tube or a bulb ?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What kind if plants do you reccomed and also should I change the bedding it is some pellets and wood chips my dad says it is fine for him but I dont know though
I use spider plants, but don't get anything from a garden centre as it will be full of, pesticides etc. You can also use plastic plants, but careful he doesn't eat them.
Please read the care sheets I linked for you very carefully. They give most of the information you need and are now asking.
You need coco coir, fine grade orchid bark (from a garden centre, this time, cheaper than a pet store) or cypress mulch. Something he can dig into and retains humidity.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Those look like ordinary light bulbs.
Your tortoise needs a UVB source so it can synthesize vitamin D3 in its skin to help with calcium absorption. If it doesn't get UVB it will sicken and die.
You probably need a UVB tube and a basking light inside that tank.
I don't know what chips those are from a photo, i'm afraid. If they are pine or cedar, for example they are toxic to tortoises.