My russian tortiose wont eat

Scoots

Location (City and/or State)
Kennewick
My 13 year old russian tortiose won't eat and poop she is constantly moving and wants to burrow. She normal eats broccoli, lettuce, cucumber, and carrots. She just recently stopped eating when I was out of town. We don't want to take her to the vet in less nescary.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Your tort's diet isn't great. He needs more leafy greens and variety - mainly weeds at this tine of year.
This is the most up to date caresheet for his species which will help you with diet and housing etc

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide and while based on UK plants there will be some we have in common.

If you post some pics of his enclosure and lamps etc we can see if there's anything there affecting his behaviour.

Scoots

Kennewick
Hi and welcome,
Your tort's diet isn't great. He needs more leafy greens and variety - mainly weeds at this tine of year.
This is the most up to date caresheet for his species which will help you with diet and housing etc

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide and while based on UK plants there will be some we have in common.

If you post some pics of his enclosure and lamps etc we can see if there's anything there affecting his behaviour.

Attachments

• 1619048436410-216434684.jpg
    1619048436410-216434684.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 1619048495700-586983061.jpg
    1619048495700-586983061.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That looks a bit small for a 13 year old Russian.
4 x 8 feet is the minimum space for the smaller species but the bigger the better.
I can't tell what substrate you have there but it looks a bit dry - the caresheet will advise you on better options.
The thermometer you have isn't very reliable so a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe would be more accurate and I can't see a hide for her.
Does she have access to an outdoor enclosure?
Also can't see the bulb. What are you using for uvb, basking and night heat (if needed in your climate)

Scoots

Kennewick
Uhm we are working on a bigger enclosure will keep the measurements in mind I am using a coco husk and she has a hide made out of a flower pot

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just a thought - has she ever laid eggs?
Even if not mated, females can still lay eggs and I'm wondering if the digging is something to do with that.
It's not something I know anything about but maybe search eggbound and see what the symptoms of that are.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Uhm we are working on a bigger enclosure will keep the measurements in mind I am using a coco husk and she has a hide made out of a flower pot
Ok the sooner the better. The caresheet will be your best guide.
If that is an MVB bulb which gives heat light and uvb then these aren't recommended anymore because they have been found to dry and damage tort shells. T5 HO tubes are mostly used for uvb now and flood bulbs for basking with ches run through thermostats for night heat and additional heat when needed.
Also it would be better hung because the clamps have been known to fail and cause fires.

Do you soak your tort in shallow baby warm water?
Can we see a picture of her?

Scoots

Kennewick
So we have like a 150 uv bulb that does heat uhm if you don't mind could you send like a list of all the stuff you have and use were trying to keep it cheap

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm in the UK but most things are available on Amazon.
Read the caresheet and make a list of things you need from there and then check Amazon or other online reptile sites.
Unfortunately the initial cost of some things isn't cheap but they are needed to keep your tort safe and healthy and once bought they tend to last for years.

I'll tag @Tom who can help you with cheap basking flood bulbs etc

If you look at the Enclosures section you'll see examples of enclosures. Some people use old large bookcases laid flat with the shelves removed. and lined with cheap shower curtains It needs to be deep enough for plenty of substrate and capped along the edges and corners to stop the tort climbing out and escaping.

Scoots

Kennewick
Ok can you send me the cares heel and what substrate do you use because I kinda thought that you need like soil or sand or something

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
I'm using organic soil that I filtered and sterilized myself in the oven, mixed with coco coir and some fine grade orchid bark.
Holds moisture/humidity very well even in a tortoise table and makes little to no mess at all.

I should note that my Sheldon is an Eastern Hermanns not a Russian/horsfield but in terms of substrate I don't think the requirements between Mediterranean species are all that different other than Russians being kept at slightly lower humidity (I think).

Anyway, I hope this helps...there is a tonne of amazing info on this forum, the more you can research, the healthier and happier your tort will be I'm sure! ?

Scoots

Kennewick
I'm using organic soil that I filtered and sterilized myself in the oven, mixed with coco coir and some fine grade orchid bark.
Holds moisture/humidity very well even in a tortoise table and makes little to no mess at all.

I should note that my Sheldon is an Eastern Hermanns not a Russian/horsfield but in terms of substrate I don't think the requirements between Mediterranean species are all that different other than Russians being kept at slightly lower humidity (I think).

Anyway, I hope this helps...there is a tonne of amazing info on this forum, the more you can research, the healthier and happier your tort will be I'm sure! ?
It will thank you