My Russian tortoise has eye infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
My RT has an eye infection. I took my RT to my vet a month ago for an eye infection and was given antibiotic drops which I gave for 10 days. In addition to drops, she also received a vitamin a injection, 14 days later she received another injection. This seemed to have resolved the infection but for the last week her eyes appear swollen again and do not open very easily. I have a vet appt. today @ 4:30. Any suggestions or advice please respond, thank you.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can feed different foods for Vit A. i would not get any more injections. they can cause major issues..
What kind of light bulb do you use? if its a Coil type bulb.. it can cause severe eye issues.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Since this seems to be a recurring issue, my first question is, what is the diet like?

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs
Laura said:
you can feed different foods for Vit A. i would not get any more injections. they can cause major issues..
What kind of light bulb do you use? if its a Coil type bulb.. it can cause severe eye issues.

I use a powersun heat/UVB combo bulb, feed radicchio, spring mix, dandelion leaves, and kale.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i went a read a few olde rposts... bulb is ok..
Substrate?
vitamins in the water,, but yes,, check the diet..

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs
Laura said:
i went a read a few olde rposts... bulb is ok..
Substrate?
vitamins in the water,, but yes,, check the diet..

Substrate is cypress mulch but changing to coconut coir worried cypress mulch too dusty.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It does seem better to improve nutrition through diet, I guess there have been some problems with tissue infections with vitamin injections.
The foods you are feeding are good, but you can review http://russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm and expand the variety.
This section emphasizes foods rich in vitamin A.
Also, there is a nice supplement that can be sprinkled finely on the greens 1-2x per week, called TNT, at http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...id=261&zenid=efa3a6064a12493288daac01a064b554, choose the kind with probiotics.
You can soak your tort in warm water with carrot or sweet potato baby food mixed in, rich in Vitamin A. Might want to soak in this (or alternate with plain water) every day for a week or two.
Are you keeping your substrate somewhat moist, at least in the underlayers?

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
When I first got my Russian he suffered with his eyes. I give him eye drops 3-4 times a day a soaked him once a day. I fed him his normal greens and grated carrot. I had to continue the eye drops for at least a month ad since then his eyes have been fine. I think mine got it from coming from a poor pet shop

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs
I just got back from the vet, he thinks my tortoise has mycoplasma, therefore, he prescribed a topical antibiotic called gentamycin, in addition to an oral antibiotic called doxicycline both to be given for 14 days. I hope this will help my Russian.

Status
Not open for further replies.