My russian tortoise hates his life!!! HELP

Male RT

Location (City and/or State)
Florida, Pan Handle
I just got my russian tortoise 5 days ago from Petco. I know they suck, but it was my only way of getting one unless I ordered one online, and I was afraid of that. I did all my research. I didn't want to do the rubbermaid tote because I wasn't sure how to do the heating with it etc... So I have a 55 gallon tank. I cleaned it with 3% bleach and rinsed thoroughly. No smell. Repti bark substrate. alfalfa hay in hiding spot and basking area for bed (new today). He was use to being in a terrarium so I don't see how that could be the problem. For the first 2 days he wouldn't eat or drink and only laid under the basking light. Barely moved. After I found out he doesn't like kale, he'll eat romaine lettuce and I through pieces of kale in there because I know it's good for him. Now that he's eating and drinking finally, the past two days he's been climbing over EVERYTHING and trying to dig his way to freedom. I had to take out most of the stuff I had in there because he almost flipped himself over a few times. He doesn't hiss at my when I pick him up, but if i move too quickly towards his face he does (understandable). He can't see out of the enclosure. He has a large hiding spot he barely uses. He literally just hates everything. Only drinks when he's dehydrated. I soak him and he'll just try to escape. Peed once since I've had him. I know he could just be stressed... BUT IT'S STRESSING ME. I just want him to realize this is home now. )))):

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is just how they act when you first bring home a wild caught Russian tortoise. He'll eventually settle down. But bear in mind, he's not used to people. He's not used to being contained. He's liable to become depressed because he can't roam free anymore. Build him an outdoor habitat that's safe from predatory and has plenty of room, and you'll see a much different tortoise.

Welcome to the Forum! We're happy to have another Russian tortoise keeper here with us.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
At the pet store I held him a bunch of different times and he was never like this! he always kept his head out when picked up by workers and myself. the other he was caged with, every time you picked it up it hissed! he was sweet, that's why I chose him. And I can't really do an outdoor enclosure because my area is TERRIBLE with ants... You spray one day, two days later they're back.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! the reason he is trying to get out of his enclosure because he is stressed 55gallons is a way to small enclosure, he should be in something aroun 4ft by8ft russina tortoises travel miles everyday looking for food and mates, being in a small space is not natural for them. romain lettuce and kale are good for him but most of his diet should be weeds from you yard. can you post some enclosure pics? if you post some tail pics i can tell you the gender.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The hey can be dehydrating so go ahead and take that out and add more of the rep to bark or coconut coir if he only sits right directly under the lamp all the time then he may be too Cold in the rest of the enclosure. They also did a lot when they go to sleep, I guess they're trying to make it comfy kind of like a dog scratching and spinning in circles. they especially do this in the corners so put lots of substrate in the corners. Read the Russian tortoise care sheet, and keep asking questions. also don't forget pictures, we love pictures of tortoises in their enclosures.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
He is a male. He has a long tail that tucks side ways, anal slit, and the back of his shell curl towards his tail a bit. He's still growing I believe, but it's the same size enclosure he was in at the pet store, with another tortoise larger than him. I know that's wrong, but he's getting more room now!

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
He moves around now, he was barely under the lamp at all today. And he's been digging ALL the substrate from the corners. Down to the bottom of the tank. I have two bags of repti bark in the enclosure bc i know they like to dig. I just put the substrate in 5 days ago, why do I need to replace it so soon?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't replace it just add more. also give him hide so that he can get out from under the lights. The hiss is caused by him pulling his head and legs in and pushing the air out, it's not like a Hess from a cat when they're mad. He just got startled that's all. A 4 x 8' enclosure is usually recommended but even a large bookcase is good. Flip it on its back and take the shelves out. sometimes you can buy them 7 x 2 or 7 x 3'. The goal is a large floorspace for him to wander in. and then you can put "furniture" and it like hides and plants etc. you could make Hills out of the substrate so that it adds interest to the terrain. Battery It takes a little time to get everything set up correctly, UVB is important as well as heat and proper diet. and although the people at the pet store may mean well, chances are they know nothing about how to care for your tortoise. All the information you need is here on this forum.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
Okay. I know all the stuff on how to get a bigger enclosure. He was in a smaller enclosure before and he was fine... My friend has one in a 55 gallon as well and it's happy as a clam!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Okay. I know all the stuff on how to get a bigger enclosure. He was in a smaller enclosure before and he was fine... My friend has one in a 55 gallon as well and it's happy as a clam!
I guarantee they'll be happier in a bigger enclosure, not but not just bigger but also correctly set up. There are other members from Florida here on the forum, maybe start a thread and ask them what they do about ants. I have seen several threads on it. because when the weather is nice nothing beats sunshine. and if they get enough of it you don't have to spend the money on that UVB bulbs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what you need to know. Read these and see if your set up or temperatures are different than this.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Understand that every tortoise is different and even the same tortoise will sometimes behave differently in different enclosures, which is what you are seeing. Because somebody else is doing something that is not right and their tortoise seems chill with it, does not mean you should do it, or that your tortoise will be chill with it. You need a bigger enclosure. Period.

Please read those threads and then come back and tell us what you think about your situation.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Please don't take this wrong but just because your friend has a Russian in a 55 gallon tank does not make it right. Please please please read the care sheets. Take a look at different enclosures. And please listen with an open mind. I recently had to put my "pet store wild caught" Russian to sleep. He went down hill fast. Because of the people here I got him the first vet appointment available. They have years of knowledge. I am a newbie but I know they want what is best for your little guy.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
I actually read the first one before I even got the tortoise (I remember the pics) and the second one, I like the kiddie pool idea! My temps are good. Humidity is good. He seems in good health! skins peeling SLIGHTLY. Other than that he's great. Active now that he's more use to the surroundings. He just went to sleep I believe. I turned his lights off after he went into his hide today. Yesterday I had to turn off the lights so he would stop digging. (he wasn't under the light when I did that) How long do they take to get full grown? (what age)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I rescued 2 female Russians a little over a week ago and am struggling to figure them out too. Way different from my Leopards. Read the care guides and tweak things until they work for you and your tortoise. Bigger is always better. Everyone here is trying to help you.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
Yes I appreciate the help very much so!! I never trust the stupid pet stores... They told me he was 2-3 months old and a female... He's 3 inches and long tucked tail. And obviously that's not the only bad advice they've given me that I ignored!!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I actually read the first one before I even got the tortoise (I remember the pics) and the second one, I like the kiddie pool idea! My temps are good. Humidity is good. He seems in good health! skins peeling SLIGHTLY. Other than that he's great. Active now that he's more use to the surroundings. He just went to sleep I believe. I turned his lights off after he went into his hide today. Yesterday I had to turn off the lights so he would stop digging. (he wasn't under the light when I did that) How long do they take to get full grown? (what age)
I think it's 10 years old. But I'm not 100%sure

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm not sure what is considered full size and at what age. males are usually smaller than females. But chances are your tortoise is pretty close to full-grown. I have heard that they really never quite stop growing but it just slows down dramatically at a certain age.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
I wish they came with papers like their birds do etc... when you pay $150 for an animal you should get to know more!! thanks for your quick help though :) I'll keep updates!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I wish they came with papers like their birds do etc... when you pay $150 for an animal you should get to know more!! thanks for your quick help though :) I'll keep updates!
Holy crap $150! of course I paid 100 at a local pet shop. and my tortoise came to me in rough shape compared to the ones I saw at my local Petco. But I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
That's why I made sure to do extensive research! Not only would it be completely devistating for him to die... But that's a lot of money!! I just want him to love me ): if it is just settling in, how long should it take? I understand all are different, but average? He's definitely more active than when he first moved in. We also have 6 dogs, they can't get anywhere near him, nor can he see them, but he can obviously hear them.