My Russian tortoise... Lonely or playful?

Laterness

Location (City and/or State)
Moses Lake Washington
So I have had Surprise! For a little over a year now. She is growing and seems happy.. but she found a mirror and sniffs it and has races with herself and will sometimes nap near it.. She does not seem scared or aggressive towards it.. and so you know it’s a non breakable mirror.. I know they are not super social usually.. But she almost seems like she wants to hangout with her reflection.. Should I get another Russian tortoise for her or no?? Here is her setup and bedroom.. Oh and her!! She loves to climb the blocks and hide in the stuffies and naps in her blankets!

06CCFF35-669E-435D-9295-FB0E76DE4C98.jpegF199B5E3-DB3D-4776-A52C-1E7BFCFA124F.jpeg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Tortoises in general, and perhaps Russians more specifically, are not lonely... adding another tortoise will likely result in fighting.

If you do add another tortoise, make sure to have an extra enclosure ready to go for the new addition for when it doesn't work out.

Jamie

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
It is likely the movement that attracts her. They are very curious creatures :)

She's safer alone, though. When tortoises bully each other, a lot of it is just silent staring (so it looks like cuddling to humans).

Welcome to the forum!

Laterness

Moses Lake Washington
It is likely the movement that attracts her. They are very curious creatures :)

She's safer alone, though. When tortoises bully each other, a lot of it is just silent staring (so it looks like cuddling to humans).

Welcome to the forum!
She is quite curious!! I have come to terms with the fact that I should not get her a friend.. she seems so happy in her room so I guess I will just let her keep on being happy! And thank you! I am glad I found you guys!!

Happytort27

CA
Welcome to the forum! She is super cute! :) I agree with the other members; tortoises are solitary animals, and do not do well in pairs. It can end up to be fatal for your tortoise.

Please take a look at this care sheet for your Russian tortoise:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So I have had Surprise! For a little over a year now. She is growing and seems happy.. but she found a mirror and sniffs it and has races with herself and will sometimes nap near it.. She does not seem scared or aggressive towards it.. and so you know it’s a non breakable mirror.. I know they are not super social usually.. But she almost seems like she wants to hangout with her reflection.. Should I get another Russian tortoise for her or no?? Here is her setup and bedroom.. Oh and her!! She loves to climb the blocks and hide in the stuffies and naps in her blankets!
Hello and welcome. I have a little Russian too. She may sleep with the mirror just to guard her territory...etc. It may even be stressful. Even though my little guy is pretty social with me he's happiest doing his own thing.?

Laterness

Moses Lake Washington
Hello and welcome. I have a little Russian too. She may sleep with the mirror just to guard her territory...etc. It may even be stressful. Even though my little guy is pretty social with me he's happiest doing his own thing.?
Well I think I’m going to take her mirror out and see what she does. Surprise! is super social with me!! Unless she’s in her bed box when I go into her room she always comes to see me! I think it’s mostly because I am the bringer of food and her shell itcher lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Y
Well I think I’m going to take her mirror out and see what she does. Surprise! is super social with me!! Unless she’s in her bed box when I go into her room she always comes to see me! I think it’s mostly because I am the bringer of food and her shell itcher lol
Yea that's what my little guy does. But it's not always about food. Sometimes he wants to just go outside and play. He tries to stand up as tall as he can for me to pick him up. All that just tells me he figures he knows me and asks.? If the weather is nice I will.