My russian tortoise "Pancho" only wants too eat Romain lle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ada caro

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
My Russian Tortoise only wants to eat Romain Lettuce. I give him, hibiscus,chickweed, kale, prickly pear u name it. and he just looks at it and stares at me. And he will not eat it. Im not giving him Romain, Ive been giving him spring mix and other things and nothing, this has been going for 3 days, he must be starving. Should I give him the Romain or try to see if he eats something else. He use to eat a variety of leaves.What can I do?:(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You stop feeding romaine, 3 days is not long, he is hungry but not starving. A healthy tortoise won't starve itself.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ditto....if you don't offer it he wont eat it....he is fine for awhile longer :D

Alternatively, you can chop the romaine into small small pieces and mix in with the good food....spritz the whole pile with water and mix it up...the water will make the stuff stick together so it is hard for the tort to pick through the pile...:D

Be strong!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
RE: My russian tortoise "Pancho" only wants too eat Romain lle

Yeah, my Russian has been on strike the last 3 weeks or so. It sucks but you have to stay strong!

ada caro

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Thanks u guys. Im being very strong, today i gave him a beautiful red Hibiscus flower, chickweed and fresh kale, he ran to the plate looked at it and started to stare at me again for a long time. Boy does he break my heart, but im still strong, even though I felt like running to get him a large leaf of Romain, but NOOOOOO ...... I have to be strong to see results.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes Try SomeThing Very Colorful.
You can Go The Hard Way and Just Leave Out something new and Wait For Him To Eat it.

Or You can Chop up Roamine and Add It To Anything Else

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
ascott said:
Ditto....if you don't offer it he wont eat it....he is fine for awhile longer :D

Alternatively, you can chop the romaine into small small pieces and mix in with the good food....spritz the whole pile with water and mix it up...the water will make the stuff stick together so it is hard for the tort to pick through the pile...:D

Be strong!!

Thats very true! I have to cut up Ophelias food so she will just not eat the romain. She only got real picky when the weather changed tho. But cut'n it up and having it wet she just eats whatever and she will eat her Mazuri too now! Great advice Angela! :)

ada caro

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
good news I gave him spring mix hibiscus flower and he started to eat, not much but I know hunger is striking him. thanks for your advice.

wosman

5 Year Member
haha looks like i'm not the only one with this problem.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Rest assured....most of us here have had to persuade a finicky eater at one time or another :D

YOU CAN DOOOOOO IT :p:p

ada caro

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I took your advice, I chopped up everything then i put enough water on so everything stuck together i gave him a pile of all types of good greens and he started eating like if there was no tomorrow. Thank u guys. Im really motivated, I started to plant dandelions, turnips, collards and a lot of good greens for my boy Pancho.

cemmons12 said:
ascott said:

Be strong!!

Thats very true! I have to cut up Ophelias food so she will just not eat the romain. She only got real picky when the weather changed tho. But cut'n it up and having it wet she just eats whatever and she will eat her Mazuri too now! Great advice Angela! :) Hi Angela, just wanted to know about the Mazuri, is it good for Russians. And which one is that.

ascott said:

Be strong!! Thank u so much for ur advice, it really worked with Pancho he started digging and eating like there was no tomorrow. Nothing takes the place of a good advice from someone who knows. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.