My Russian tortoise won't drink water

TSavannahx

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
image.jpg Hey guys!
This is my first time posting on here.

I recently bought my first ever tortoise yesterday. He's a horsefield (Russian) tortoise. He's adorable and he's been eating well although I haven't seen him once drinking. I know that I've only had him for a day but I'm getting really worried as I haven't seen him drinking once. I've seen him literally right next to his water bowl thinking that he's going to drink from it but I don't think he has?
I heard that bathing tortoises keep them hydrated and it'll be my first time bathing him tomorrow although I'm still very worried about him as he hasn't been drinking I don't think. As shown on the photo that I've attached, does the water bowl look too big for him or is that me overthinking that as I'm the kind of person who overthinks everything.

I'd appreciate any help as I'm really worried about this little guy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Get a new waterbowl. Those can not be used by a tortoise? Plus they are a drowning hazard. Get a terra cotta bowl.

xMario

Germany
I noticed that my sulcata isn't that interested in staying water.
When I slowly pour water on the ground and it flows like a little river she chases after it and sticks her head in [emoji16]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I noticed that my sulcata isn't that interested in staying water.
When I slowly pour water on the ground and it flows like a little river she chases after it and sticks her head in [emoji16]
That is how they drink in the wild. Streams and puddles.

drew54

Indiana
Soak them everyday for 30min in warm water. You don't always see them dip their head in the water and drink. It's also believed that they drink through their tails. Either way speak your tort. They will drink.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He may be in danger of being kept too dry. How old is he? And what is that substrate?
The daily compulsory warm water soaks are very important. And so are the correct levels of humidity and temperature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russians are notoriously famous for not wanting to use a water bowl and hating to be placed in soaking tub. You can help solve your tortoise's dehydration problem by spritzing water over the food when you feed him every day.

Like dmmj suggested, a plant saucer, sunk down into the substrate, would be a better choice for a water dish. Soak your baby daily and keep fresh water in the water dish, and spritz water over the food. He should be ok.