My russian tortoise wont eat indoors

Al Davis

Hi we adopted a russian tortoise about a couple of weeks ago. We're now new in the reptile pets for we also have a juvenile bearded dragon. So when we got him we already what to expect in terms of adopting to their surroundings and how their enclosures should look and feel. Anyways, since we got him. We always offer him spring mix, collard greens. But he never seems to eat it. Most of the times he just sleeps inside his enclosure. Which by the way is a 36x36 transformed book case. But heres the head scratcher for us. We built him an outside enclosure as well so we can take him out every now and then and get some fresh air and natural sunlight. But whenever we take him outside thats when he moves around and eats dandelions. Long story short... He only eats outside and stays dormant not eat when his in his enclosure...

We soaks him every other day... His enclosure temp is kept at 90 deg. Please any advice will help... Thank you

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum. :tort:

Please post pics of your tort as well as his enclosure, so as to enable us to help you.:)

Al Davis

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here is his enclosure... Its a transformed book case 36x36. I got 2 ceramic heat emitters The one with the dome is 150 watts so thats the one on all day... The other is 100watts i got on at night... My uva flourescent light is 10w zoomed

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Cute tort!

Unfortunately, it's too small for an adult Russian. No room to roam, no plants or (multiple) hides to have a feeling of safety... Is there a water dish somewhere?

An indoor 4'x8' would give you room to provide a more hospital (room, different elevations, plants for food or safety or blocking his line-of-sight) enclosure. If it's just for nighttime, it's fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Al:

Welcome to the Forum!

Your indoor habitat is terribly small. The tortoise feels pretty insecure in there. Why can't you fix his outdoor habitat so he can't escape from it and leave him outside?

Tortoises are not domesticate, they are wild animals. They need to be outside, and he feels much more at home when you put him outside.

Al Davis

His outdoor enclosure is the same size as his indoor. But he is more active outside... Should i just keep him outside and place him in his indoor enclosure at night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That would be good. I'd also think about making the outdoor enclosure about three times as big as it is. Don't forget the waterer and the hiding places, along with a few plants to provide a feeling of security for him.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Also, 90F for the overall temp is pretty high, the basking spot should be 95-98F and then the temps gradient. My hot side is usually around 80-85F and the cool side is 75F or so ( i have 2 russians). Russians also dont need night heat if the temps dont drop too low and they can warm up properly the next morning. I indoors and my tortoises are fine.
One of my russians had a bad parasite problem when i first got himz he was lethargic and wouldnt eat. He only was active and had an appetite when i took him outside also.
Do you know if your russian was ever dewormed with their previous owners?

Al Davis

Well we got him online... He was given all that... Like dewormed... When his indoors he just sleeps... I dont think
He is ever lethargic...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They definitely perked up outdoors. I would have him outdoors as much as possible. I don't know where you live, but hopefully he can spend at least a few months a year outside.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

I am with the others. Your tort needs a minimum of 4'c8' both indoors and out.

A basking lamp should be directed down vertically, unlike yours, so there is an intense hot spot of 35C/95F directly underneath it. This is essential for your tort to bask which it has to do in order to digest its food and be active.

Outdoors, the sun in a sheltered spot can be much hotter than the air temperature so this probably explains the difference in activity.

I see no water bowl. Water must be constantly available. A terracotta plant saucer is ideal and much safer than the reptile bowls sold by pet stores.

Please read the following Care Guides carefully to help you understand your tort's needs

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Have you tried bringing dandelions from outside and putting them in the enclosure? See if that stimulates his eating inside, then maybe you can slowly introduce other foods.

Al Davis

Update... Dont take this the wrong way... But i dont know where you guys get your info. Then again maybe everyone is different. Good thing i didnt took any of your advice... Because what we did was we just left him alone... Didnt touched him. Justleft him alone. Kept changing his water everyday and kept offering food... Changing it even if he doesnt eat it.. Then one day just came out of his log and started soaking up the heat and moved around and ate... He was stressing from being moved... Hes back to normal now...✌️

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
And the info everyone provides here is from many years of experience. I see you said you had your tortoise for a couple weeks before you joined and posted on the forum.
Im assuming no one told you that the tortoise may be stressed from coming to a new home because you stated you had him for a few weeks. I joined the the forum right when i got my tortoises and was told they may be stressed and to leave them alone for awhile.
Did you take everyones recommendations about his enclosure into consideration though?

Al Davis

That i did... Left him alone for a like a week. Didnt held, bathe... Just kept changing hos water and kept giving food... Then he just decided to go out of hiding...

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
That i did... Left him alone for a like a week. Didnt held, bathe... Just kept changing hos water and kept giving food... Then he just decided to go out of hiding...
Thats great! Do you know if he drank at all during his stressed period?
If he didnt eat, its important hes hydrated. Any new pictures of your active tortoise ? :)
Whats his name?