SillySherbet

Location (City and/or State)
Manitowoc
Hi everyone! I posted a few weeks ago about my Russian Tortoise Nahiri and how she wouldn't eat and was very active, running around her table. Some people suggested that she was trying to lay eggs. Others said she may have parasites.

I took her to the vet and she had intestinal parasites and she was given 2 shots to take care of that. The last shot was on the 20th of June. Now..after her shots.. she started to just not move. She nibbled on some food on the 6th of June which is when she got her first shot but hasn't touch anything since.

After her first shot, she just sleeps. I have not seen her come out on her own this whole time. I'd have to bring her out physically so I can soak her, check her out and when I put her back, she runs right back into hiding and sleeps. I have her inside since Wisconsin weather is wonky, but whenever we have sunny, warm days.. I bring her out and she instantly runs over to the flowerbed and buries herself. She won't bask, she won't sit and look around..she barely even drinks the water when I soak her..

I'm starting to think that there is more wrong than the parasites. Besides that little nibble of food on the 6th.. she hasn't ate in almost 2 months.201904237689484683296308878.jpg

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
Hi everyone! I posted a few weeks ago about my Russian Tortoise Nahiri and how she wouldn't eat and was very active, running around her table. Some people suggested that she was trying to lay eggs. Others said she may have parasites.

I took her to the vet and she had intestinal parasites and she was given 2 shots to take care of that. The last shot was on the 20th of June. Now..after her shots.. she started to just not move. She nibbled on some food on the 6th of June which is when she got her first shot but hasn't touch anything since.

After her first shot, she just sleeps. I have not seen her come out on her own this whole time. I'd have to bring her out physically so I can soak her, check her out and when I put her back, she runs right back into hiding and sleeps. I have her inside since Wisconsin weather is wonky, but whenever we have sunny, warm days.. I bring her out and she instantly runs over to the flowerbed and buries herself. She won't bask, she won't sit and look around..she barely even drinks the water when I soak her..

I'm starting to think that there is more wrong than the parasites. Besides that little nibble of food on the 6th.. she hasn't ate in almost 2 months.View attachment 275722
Hmmm I'm not sure I do have some thoughts but not sure, I would ask questions to your vet like what all your tortoise have been doing when you given the shot.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is it a Deworming medicine such as Panacur or something similar?

SillySherbet

Manitowoc
Hmmm I'm not sure I do have some thoughts but not sure, I would ask questions to your vet like what all your tortoise have been doing when you given the shot.

The vet told me that she was acting just fine. She was moving around and they had to sedate her for the shots but..after she woke up, she was acting normal.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Sorry you are going through this, torts do not do well under sedation I am willing to bet that could be the issue. Are you keeping her temps up that will effect their appetite too. I would also look through the care sheets on this site and offer her more of a variety in her diet such as broadleaf weeds which are plentiful this time of year.

SillySherbet

Manitowoc
Sorry you are going through this, torts do not do well under sedation I am willing to bet that could be the issue. Are you keeping her temps up that will effect their appetite too. I would also look through the care sheets on this site and offer her more of a variety in her diet such as broadleaf weeds which are plentiful this time of year.

Her temps are great. I'm check everything 3 times a day since the weather keeps changing and it causes the temp of the house to change which affects her home.. would she still be feeling the effects of sedation now even if that happened almost 2 weeks ago?

I will also look into changing her diet a bit.. I'm just afraid to one day look in there and find out she passed..especially after I spent $300 to help her

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Her temps are great. I'm check everything 3 times a day since the weather keeps changing and it causes the temp of the house to change which affects her home.. would she still be feeling the effects of sedation now even if that happened almost 2 weeks ago?

I will also look into changing her diet a bit.. I'm just afraid to one day look in there and find out she passed..especially after I spent $300 to help her

I would work on keeping the temps regulated that really does play a big part into how active they are and their appetite. They need a basking spot 85-95 degrees and a cool side which shouldn't go lower then 65-68 degrees. Try giving her a variety of different weeds/flowers that may help peak her interest too and start soaking a more. If you do all of these things and she still doesn't improve then another vet visit may be in order. Upload pics of her indoor enclosure we can give you pointers if something isn't right as far as that goes.

SillySherbet

Manitowoc
20190526_080533.jpg

This is the best photo I got right now. I have a temp gun now so don't worry about those cheap little thermometers in there. I never got to taking them out.

It's about 3 feet wide and 5 feet long. I change her water every day, sift the dirt a bit so she can dig easily if she ever comes out... under the basking light Is 87 degrees and the cooler side is always 78. That's how I've always had it..

I'll work on soaking her more.. I usually do every 4 or 5 days.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
View attachment 275821

This is the best photo I got right now. I have a temp gun now so don't worry about those cheap little thermometers in there. I never got to taking them out.

It's about 3 feet wide and 5 feet long. I change her water every day, sift the dirt a bit so she can dig easily if she ever comes out... under the basking light Is 87 degrees and the cooler side is always 78. That's how I've always had it..

I'll work on soaking her more.. I usually do every 4 or 5 days.

Hi, 87 is a little too cool, you should be aiming for at least 90, even up towards 94/95.
78 is fine for the cooler side.