My russian tortoise wont eat.

Louietort97

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I got my russian tortoise about a week agofrom petsmart. ( I know, not the best place to get my first tortoise) but I cant get him to eat. He hes a 5 ft x 3ft tortoise table. With both a basking light and uvb. He is offered kale, spinach and a spring mix with some squash. Also he has Mazuri pellets that and soaked in water before given to him. He has not touch anything except 2 little nibbles from a zoo med food block. Very active and will come out and bask in his lights and explore his enclosure. Just not sure why he wont eat.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Hi Louietort97!

You have come to the right place to help you with your new Russian!

Your new tortoise is probably a little stressed out. So I would keep my eye on him/her.

I am not a Russian keeper so I just want you to get some information out on this thread so the right people can help you.

Can we get pictures? Not a selife, but you can too! We need ones of your Russian Tortie and the tortoise table and all your set up.

We need information on your equipment, also what are temperature of the different areas in your tort table, to see if they are proper temps and uvb rays specific for you Russian.

Do you have a hide for your tortoise?
Basking area with light and heating element?

There are many different variables to all the turtle species, so we need to get a ideal of your set up.
If you can post this now, one of the forum members can help you more quicker.

Here is the care guide that has very good information for you.

:):tort:
Thanks and welcome here!
Looking forward to your posts and I wish your new Russian tortoise well!

Last edited:

Louietort97

Pennsylvania
Under the basking area is 100 degrees, and around the outer parts is no less than 70 degrees. He has a plate for food and a shallow dish for water. He has a 10.0 zoo med uvb light, and a 60w heat/basking bulb. Not sure if I should add more heat since hes in a large enclosure. He only has one hide. Plus alfalfa hay to graze on if needed. His humidity is around 50%. He does have a plant in there as well just not pictured because I had to clean it up. He likes to climb in and trample in it ?

Attachments

• 20200705_105905.jpg
    20200705_105905.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200705_223424.jpg
    20200705_223424.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6